I have sad news to report....all but 1 died on day 19 and 20....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RightFromtheStartDoula, May 3, 2009.

1. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    It is with a very heavy heart that I must report that I ahve lost all but 1 of my first hatch...

All was wel and good right up to day 18...all 10 were moving when candled...1 hatched on day 19 and I had 5 shakers all day on day 19 and 20...As of this am I still had 1 mover and he was peeping too...waited all day while nursing the second hatcher from last night, he had feet paralaysis and had to be culled...I went to bator and and nothing...no shakers...So I opened them up to see....All 8 were fully formed...don;t really understand what happened to the one that was moving this am...looks like it was ready to go, yolk completly gone...

All others were bad...yolks broke on most....

What causes yolks to break so late?...

Don't know if I will try again...this was pretty tough....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry, sometimes things just happen that make no sense.

3. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    sometimes these things happen.. all you can do is pick up and start again!

4. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    [​IMG] I am so sorry!!!! [​IMG]

5. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I had three chicks that died in the shell close to hatch too... how could you tell the yolk was broke? Could it have happened when you opened the egg? I don't think any of my yolks were broke.... they sort of separated a bit after I was taking it out of the egg shell and the membrane was coming loose.

I am still trying to see what could have caused it. I know sometimes it just happens, but I am also wondering if late candling could disrupt something too. I am considering candling only once, about midway through and leave it at that. I don't know...

I am sorry for what you went through. On our first incubator hatch the same thing happened, only one made it. We named her Uno. My sister later said Solitaire would be a good name too. We enjoy her though. We did try again. We added the turner to our still air incubator, changed the overall temp to 102 at the top of the eggs and things went much better We hatched out 8 chicks, so don't give up! I only lost 4 chicks this time, three close to hatch, one in the first few days. So that isn't too bad. Try again!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I'm sorry. That is so sad when you've babysat those eggs so long.

My first eggs are in the incubator now. I'm praying that at least half make it. [​IMG]

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    [​IMG] Sorry you had such an awful time with this. [​IMG]

If you don't mind me asking what was your temp/humidity and was it a still air or forced?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by