I have sold 11 dozen eggs in four days

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
Lets just say my egg sales have picked up. I made a pretty sign and hung it on my mail box, and my dh takes them to work. I had a nice man stop by last night and want 2 doz a week. If I keep going at this rate my girls make almost $100 a month. I sell mine 2.00 a doz and 3.00 for 18. I do keep all my egg money and use it to buy all my chicken stuff. At the moment I have 3 eggs in the house. I have 25 hens, they are so much fun and they are paying for themselves and some. I am going to start keeping track of what they lay and what I sell, just for fun to see.

That's wonderful!

I have about 15 dozen in my fridge right now. I usually sell them to friends.

I need to have ds make a sign to put outside to see if we can sell some from home instead of me taking them into town. I don't know what to charge. We used to charge $1 a dozen but with everything going up that doesn't cover any of our chicken expenses anymore.

selling eggs is a good way for hens to pay there way.an you can make some money to boot.just make sure you dont get more customers than you have eggs for.

I was really hoping we could sell eggs around here if we put a nice sign down at the end of our driveway. It will be probably Sept before our chicks start laying and the 3 hens I have now give only enough that we eat. I was a little concerned that we may not be able to sell our eggs since so many out here in the country have chickens but I am hoping for the hens to earn their keep. We have never had animals that could actually pay for their own feed, not even the hogs.
But if we don't get enough customers and especially in the beginning, we plan on giving our eggs to the soup mission kitchen in town, if they will take them. I think that would be great, too.

I think it is wonderful that the hens could pay for their own food and I hope to get $2.50 a dz for them. But we shall see.
big_smile.png

A couple of weeks ago I was going to put a sign up at the feed store "Fresh Brown Eggs For Sale $2.50 per doz." When I got there, there was a sign already up for fresh eggs $1.25 per doz.
th.gif

Quote:
That's my problem. There are so many chicken people in my rural area selling eggs that I can't charge too much and yet $1 a dozen is too cheap.
he.gif

Great going! It's nice to get a return on them. I'm hoping to increase my flock soon (I have 9 hens now) so that I can also sell. Right now I just give them to my family and one of my friends who is barely making it financially raising two boys on her own. Regarding pricing for eggs - go to your market and see what they are selling for (be sure to check the free-range prices at the health food stores, too) and price it competively. A friend here has no problem getting $3.00/doz for her eggs. A month or two ago there was an article in the Sacramento Bee about free ranging chickens and some woman was quotes as saying she was "happy to be getting free range eggs for $7.00/doz." Boy, I'd like to have a bunch of customers like her! Good luck, everyone, with your egg selling endeavors!
Blessings,
Liz

I sell between 20 and 25 dozen a week at $2 a dozen.It pays for the feed and the feed for all the bantams and we don't sell the bantam egg.That's the one's we get to eat and then give away the rest as bonus's to our good customers.

I raised my price to $3 (sell about 4 doz a week to fiends) and no one batted an eyelash. Just becuase others are underselling their eggs doesn't mean you should, too. Besides, folks will think if your eggs are more expensive they must be better!
big_smile.png

FWIW, I would never make the prive anything but an even dollar value ($2, $3, $4...).

Back
Top Bottom