1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have some concerns about supporting hatcheries...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by TubbyChicken, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    After seeing and episode of dirty jobs I was already a bit disgusted (but not surprised) at how the chicks were handled...

However, I recently stumbled across some concerning info and photos of how the unwanted male chicks are treated and disposed of.

I already felt compelled to buy from local sources rather than hatcheries, but after a serious health problem with my first flock I decided to be more careful about who and where my birds came from. The hatcheries provided a small peace of mind, and they offered convenience...I'm able to order one particular breed in limited qualities, have my birds sexed and vaxed and all for very cheap...

Although now, I'm not sure any of this is worth it if chicks are being treated poorly. I wouldn't knowingly give my money to any organization that inhumanely disposes of animals. (I also couldn't help but gasp when I saw dumpsters full of dead, chicks...they could be FOOD and they're being thrown out, without any regard.)

So...what's a person to do? Surely I'm not the only person with the same concerns...

Is there a list somewhere here of breeders who will ship chicks? I would prefer to buy straight run from a small scale farm that takes good care of their birds rather than pay for inaccurately sexed chicks of poor breed quality and risk aiding an institutions poor treatment of the animals that generate their livelihood...

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    You may be able to find someone close to you that has chicks for sale and you may even be able to see where they are raised. You should put the area you are in, it would probably help.[​IMG]

3. ltlchicken

ltlchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    we sell our chicks unsexed through craigslist to the local people around our area. you may want to try your craigslist.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If there was any consumer demand for those male chicks the hatcheries would be selling them but there is no such demand. What would you suggest the hatcheries do with these male chicks they can't sell? Let me add, what would you suggest that makes sense from a business standpoint?

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Exactly NYREDS, exactly.

You can't believe EVERYTHING you see on the internet...most hatcheries do not dispose of the male chicks the way that is posted on the internet by specific groups.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Is it fair to complain about the male chicks being tossed away if you are ordering sexed-chicks? Nobody likes that they are treated as disposable, but as long as people want pullets only, this is what will happen. Every time somebody orders a sexed pullet, an extra male is hatched that will probably be doomed. Unless we are willing to buy straight run and deal humanely with the roos ourselves, we can't really blame the hatcheries. After all, it is us that created the problem.

7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Quote:Of course it's very upsetting to find out that a living being is being hurt. Have you considered contacting pet food manufacturers, or any other industry, about the possibility of using the male chicks so that they won't go to waste?

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I agree!

Feeding and caring for roosters may not be cost effective for dog food companies. It takes a little longer for them to go that route.

Sometimes folks in different nationalities would take those and raise them to feed their families.

9. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Take a look at Superior Farms or Sandhill. They do straight run. I am ordering straight run from Superior this year, we'll see how the rooster eating & dispatching goes...

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    And agree with Bearded Chick, support the hatcheries that deals with straight runs only. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by