I have some pips! Updated Pictures!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Featherland, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    It's day 20 and I have 5 pips. One pipped last night at 11:00, one this morning at 8:00, and the other 3 around 1:00. This is my first time hatching and I have a couple questions. First, about how long does it take to hatch after it has pipped? Then I either have a humidity or a hygrometer problem. I have two Accurite thermometers in there. The readings are 60% and 49% and they vary. I have two sponges, a saucer with marbles, and an open (tall ) jar with water and all the reservoirs are filled. I have another therm/hygro that I put on top of the incubator by one of the holes and it is reading about 80%. What do I go by? I don't want to open it to place my extra one inside. Can the humidity be too high? I don't see any condensation. Throughout the incubation the humidity was around 40%. Please help!
    Wow, while I have been sitting here one of the last to pip has starting zipping and peeping!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I like to keep the humidity around 60 to 70%....It can take up to 24 hours from the first pip til the chick gets his self out of the shell...be patient...its resting and learning to breath on its own is why it takes so long...they pip the shell some and rest ....After the first chick hatches you do not need to worry about humidity as the chicks provide more humid air as they hatch out of the shells...my opinion

3. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you. One of the last to pip has just hatched! What a feisty one!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Pictures??

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, where the pics? [​IMG]

6. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    must have pictures

7. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I will try to get my daughter to help me post pictures when she comes over. I had 6 fertile eggs and so far I have 4 Silkies. One died in the shell. It was pretty large and I think it got stuck when turning and one hasn't hatched. I will give it a couple more days. Three of them have their outer toe curling under their foot. Is there something I can do to correct this? What would cause this to happen?

8. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    here is a thread from a couple of weeks ago I ended up with 3 chicks like this staggered hatches 1 it worked perfectly on, 1 it worked on but the toe is still off a little bit but chick has no problems, the third one had legs issues also and I think some breathing trouble and did not make it past 4 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31800

edited because I left the link out

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  9. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The first egg to zip.
    [​IMG]
    Now it is hatching.
    [​IMG]
    This chick took a total of 2 hours from pip to hatch.
    [​IMG]
    The blue/splash. Can anyone tell if this is a blue or a splash?
    [​IMG]
    The buff. This one is so fluffy.
    [​IMG]
    The blacks posing with their bandaid shoes.
    [​IMG]
    All together in the first brooder.
    [​IMG]

10. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hi featherland, your new babies are very cute!!!
    congrats.

tell me about the bandaid shoes . . . i don't know about those.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by