I have some question about winter please help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kelso roosters, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Kelso roosters

Kelso roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    So my chicken coop is all ready for the winter it is not insulated but I have a vent,wood shavings and heated water bowl but I am just worried because it is -35 outside will my chickens be ok? They made it threw last night and it was -13 I am just worried please help

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It sounds like they have good shelter and water (and I'm assuming food) available, so they will be fine. Think about the songbirds where you live. They don't have any of the comforts your chickens do, and they manage. It's going to get cold here tomorrow night. It's supposed to be -11 tonight, and -16 tomorrow night. Last winter we had lows in the -20's and -30's. My chickens did just fine.

3. GunSmoke GS

GunSmoke GS New Egg

Dec 5, 2013
    I have the same set up as you....but, temp here will only be below freezing for 5-7 days...very abnormal..but...If the wind is kept off them; dry where they are; plenty of protein food;good clean water.....Q: DO YOU HAVE A HEAT LAMP OR ANYTYPE OF RADIANT HEAT FOR YOUR GIRLS?

Sounds to me you have just about done all you are capable to do within reason...

GS[​IMG]

4. Kelso roosters

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks I feel a lot better now.I live in Montana and its only going to be freezing for 7 days to.I'm just new with backyard chickens and this is my first winter with them and I was a little worried.I don't have any heat lamps or anything like that because I don't want my girls to start on fire hah

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Wise decision. Fire is not the only threat. What if your power goes out and your chickens aren't acclimated to the cold because they've had supplemental heat? They may not freeze to death, but they will for sure suffer.

6. Kelso roosters

Jul 18, 2013
    I am still worried they made it threw the night its just ruff I went out to the coop and I was looking inside and the walls look a little frosted up will they be ok its suppose to get -35 tonight and I'm worried again:( tomorrow its suppose to get out of the nagetives but I hope they make it threw the night my chickens make me happy I couldn't loose them:(

7. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    If you're really worried about them, put them in the garage.

You might go and look at them again. Temps aren't as cold here but we got a temperature change that went from 80 down to 14. I was worried about mine. I even dug the dog crate out of the attic and planned on bringing them in. I went to look at them one more time to make my decision and they were roosting. Fluffed up but roosting and weren't shivering. So I let them be and they're fine.

So go check on them one last time and watch for any shivering. If they seem alright then you can rest easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by