I have some questions about my geese. NEW QUESTION! PLEASE HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LindseyM12, Mar 12, 2012.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    New Question: Ok, my one of my geese (I think it's a female) has been extremely aggressive towards me for 3 days. She chases me and bites me. If I hold on to her bill she hits me with her wings. What do I do?! She has NEVER done this before. She usually will just sit/stand beside me like she likes me. What could cause this sudden change in behavior? Please help me everyone! She's starting to really hurt me! I have bite marks all over me and I have bruises all over my arms from her hitting me with her wings. :/

I have a pair of African geese. They're 1 1/2 years old. Whenever they get into their pool they always try and mate, but they both try and do it. So does that mean the hatchery I got them from messed up my order? I ordered a pair (1 male and 1 female) I though thats what I got but im not positive anymore. Also, if I do have a female, shouldn't she be laying by now? And if she is laying how do I tell? One of them is a leader. Where he goes she follows. But never the opposite. I'm thinking it's a male that's the leader but like I said I'm not positive. Any information would great! Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    They could still be a pair as I have females that get impatient with the males and mount them. They're almost telling them to get on with it! If they're yearlings they may still lay or skip the season as this is a large breed. Watch for signs of the believed female becoming more rounded and full in the vent area which they often do as they come into lay. If they are a pair then they may proceed to nesting just before egg laying commences.

Best of luck with them.

Pete [​IMG]

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by