1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have some questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brookside birds, Apr 20, 2016.

1. brookside birds

brookside birds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    How do I know what kind of chickens I will end up with from pullets..

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    The term "Pullets" refers to gender, it means a female under a year old. Most people advertise chickens as "Buff Orp Pullets" or something like that, so they would be Female Buff Orps less than a year old :3 do you have any other questions or need clarifications?

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2(excellent explanation)

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    x 2, though for clarification are you using "kind" to refer to breed or another characteristic such as personality, etc?

ETA - if you already have chicks and are not sure of the breed we may be able to help you if you post photos of them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

6. brookside birds

Apr 20, 2016
    The Breed

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    That would depend on where you purchase them -- if you source from a hatchery, retail store or reputable private seller they are generally going to be labeled as "XXXXX (breed) pullets". The hatchery sites and many stores will also have brief breed descriptions, photos, etc that you can see to go along with the names of the breeds. If they happen to be in the "mixed/assorted pullets, brown layer pullets, etc" bins or sold as a "surprise package, mixed x package" then it is a matter of familiarizing yourself with breed characteristics so that you can start identifying various breeds by sight yourself. This self-education is also important when dealing with private sellers who may either a)not know what they have or b) wish to misrepresent what they have -- being able to identify birds can save you a lot of heartache and hassle.

1 person likes this.
  8. brookside birds

Apr 20, 2016
    Thank you very much for your answer and information.. it helped me quite a bit !I am trying to get some pictures uploaded

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by