I have swimming chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homecatmom, Jan 5, 2008.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucy has been laying for 2 days now and I am very happy. Last evening the rain started around 4PM and never let up till about 8:30 this morning. My run is like a lake. The girls have high ground where they can hang out, but where did I find them??? In their dust bath area in 3 inches of water. [​IMG] They were mud bathing! They looked like they were having a great time. Do any of your chickens play in puddles? I can imagine what Lucy's egg will look like today if she lays one... [​IMG]

2. crazy4chicsinBC

crazy4chicsinBC Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2007
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    I live in British Columbia and we get RAIN. I have often watched my girls mud bathing, they seem to enjoy it!!
    [​IMG]

3. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Wow! I have never seen my birds do that, but I often wondered why other birds bathe in water and chickens don't. Guess they do--if the opportunity presents itself!

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Sounds like lots of fun! [​IMG]

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    my girls love to play in mud puddles -- they get done they have mud all over the faces , feet,legs they are a total mess !!!
    the only one that is a little more laid back when it comes to the puddles is my roo - he we scratch around in them but is not as messy as the girls.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by