I have the best neighbors!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by booker81, Jul 20, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I swear, they are beyond awesome.

Yesterday the husband brought over dinner for us, and we chatted for a few. He told me that he really enjoys hearing the roosters crowing through the day, and to please not worry when I free range them and they go to his property, they eat the bugs he doesn't want around.

They are an older couple, guessing late 60s, early 70s. They've raised 7 kids, and have owned chickens, geese, cows, goats horses etc. The wife always says they had old McDonald's farm. Now its just the two of them, no critters, and he has a small garden and orchard he putters in daily. Two of their kids live with their families in the next two houses down.

It's nice to have neighbors that don't mind chickens, but really seem to enjoy having them nearby. I think he doubly likes it because he doesn't have to care for them!

Of course once the chickens EVER lay eggs, they will be given to them for free, for as long as they want them [​IMG]

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Our neighbors are nice too. they throw peaches to the chickens [​IMG]

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    thats sweet!! glad your neighbors are good!! [​IMG]

ours are nice too! [​IMG]

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    We have neighbors a lot like yours. They are amazing! They feed the chickens every day at their house (they even keep lay pellets around!!).

I was feeling guilty that the chickens spent so much time at their house until they went on vacation (and stopped feeding them) and the chickens stopped going over there at all!!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You are soooo lucky!! Your neighbors sound wonderful!!! To think he even likes the roosters. [​IMG]

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Don't you just love awesome neighbors?

I love my neighbor. He checks on the hens 3+ times a day and brings them treats. He adores one little chicken, Dora, who always hops up onto the roost to say "Why hello there, Welcome to our coop". They're best buds.

7. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Lucky....

My dad swares he heard someone on the next street corner yelling the other morning "Shut that F'n Chicken up!"

I don't believe him. Most of my neighbors think my chickens are cool. People walking their dogs tell me they walk by on purpose hoping they catch the roo crowing. Yet someone still complained.

I just plain don't like the people where I live. All the nice people live far away and spaced out from everyone. Is that why their nice?

8. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    It's nice to hear there are good neighbors out there. So many can be a nightmare. [​IMG]

9. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

ours are all good bar one. i've been dropping eggs off to them over the last week or so because they chickens have been quite loud early in the morning and they've all said they love hearing them and they are no problem etc etc which has put my mind at ease [​IMG] there's no restrictions here at all but don't want to be annoying anyone.

the problem one though i'm not so keen on going to see with eggs. she's called our landlord trying to get him to kick us out of the house for having a meth lab. that was all based on her seeing some chemical barrels up the drive i'd brought home from work to make into compost bins and both of us who live here having lots of tattoos. we don't even drink alcohol let alone use or make drugs [​IMG] and she started yelling at me once about having 'our sort' in her neighbourhood and why wouldn't we move. which was kind of funny because she's only been living in the country for about ten years, still has her canadian accent and my family has been in this area for generations and helped settle it... gotta laugh, stay calm and see the funny side [​IMG] the landlord did warn us about the crazy woman next door when we moved in about five years ago now at least...

edited to fix a typo [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am very lucky with two of my neighbors. One is my land-lady living in the front house on the same acre property. The other lives on the acre property next to us. There's a vacant lot on the other side, not quite a full acre, and at the back of that lot on a third of an acre resides The Other Neighbors. The ones who CHAIN a chihuahua mix in their back yard and leave it there almost all the time, lonely. Plus loud parties. 'Nuff about them, though.

Anyway, the next door neighbors are very friendly, and were glad to see me build my fish ponds and my coops, because it meant I was going to be "staying" unlike my land-lady's last couple of residents. They're fascinated with the different chicken breeds and they swore the rooster's crowing does not bother them. I started giving them a dozen eggs when the girls began to lay, and after the second dozen, the lady of the house refused to accept them without paying for them. But she wants a dozen a week. Sweet! Their 2 nearly grown kids are amazed at the different colors of the eggs, and the girl actually said to me, "It's so cool they're made just right there!" (gesturing at the closest coop).

Yes, I also think it's cool that my chickens "make" me these wonderful eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by