I have the Best Rooster!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Azriel, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    OK, maybe not The Best, but pretty darn good. This from someone who 2 short years ago hated roosters and would not have one. OH no, not me NO roosters their mean and you can't trust them. OK,well this one's very nice, not mean at all. He calls the girls for treats and food, he doesn't let the girls bicker, and he does a great job of protecting the flock. They free range in a fenced 1 acre area all day, we've had hawks migrating through the last few weeks, he gives the alarm call and sends the girls to cover while he stands there all fluffed up till all the girls are in hiding. Today my dog got too close to the fence and he sent the girls to hiding while he paced the fence screaming at her. And he's only 6 months old
    This is Lucas my EE
    [​IMG]

and Lacey the dog
    [​IMG]

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Lucas is beautiful! [​IMG] I love roosters who know how to be good to their hens. Such dedicated and selfless creatures they can be. Glad you got a good one![​IMG]

3. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    You have been blessed with that rooster! Take good care of him!

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I feel the same as you. My GL Wyandotte rooster is much the same way. He finds something, makes a funny noise and here come the girls a runnin. I'm watched him make another sound and they freeze in place. Not a movement at all. They look like ceramics folks put in the yard. And they follow him everywhere he goes. Plus he's friendly as can be. When I give them meal worms he lets them have some then make a cluck sound to let me know they don't get all of um. But he just stands there till I hand him some.

I think we're really blessed in the chicken world to have a rooster with that kinda demeanor. Except you're has tail feathers. Bob had his pulled out by two mean RIR roosters. Hence his name, Bob. As in bob tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by