I have the flu. Can my chickies get sick from me?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerkevin, Dec 20, 2013.

1. farmerkevin

farmerkevin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Yesterday I broke a 106* fever. Before I was sick sick, I loaded the feeders and waterers because I felt ill. So now everything is near empty. I'm feeling better, still occasional coughing. (Worst sickness lasted 4 days)

I have maybe one more day before the water is empty and feeders are empty for my chickens.

Is it safe for me to go out there and feed them?

I will shower, wash my hands, put on fresh laundered clothes and a rag to breathe through.

Can my chicks get sick from me?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No your chickens can't get the flu from you. Chicken diseases except for some funguses,campylobacter, and salmonella, aren't transmitted back and forth, and the same goes for human diseases like flu.

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    If it is just a normal flu then no they can't get sick from you. If you get bird flu they can, but by that time you are likely to be in ICU. The only places with bird flu right now are south central Texas (all in the hospital right now, recent travel history) and China. You didn't list a location, if you are not in either of these areas I wouldn't worry.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you sure it was 106 and not 100.6? With 106 you might be having seizures or have come down with malaria or something. You might need to get that checked out. It's tough having chickens or other animals that you have to care for when sick, and no one else to help you out. Could a neighbor or family member help?

5. farmerkevin

farmerkevin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    It was 106. Watched it go from 102 on up.

Apparently I called a friend at 7 am. I don't remember it at all but its there on caller ID. Fever hit and was over in about 12 hours. I don't remember any of it, except waking up and going through a sleep paralysis episode (awake but can't move) but I do that quite often. It basically means my mind is rested but my body isn't, or so I'm told.

I have friends that come over quite often, but being sick I told them to keep their distance.

I do feel better though. Just congested, and coughing a bit. I don't FEEL contagious.

My one neighbor works all the time and the other is my elderly grandmother who can barely walk. Let alone down a hill of decomposing granite.

So if I can't pass anything on to them, I'll just go out there covered up for precaution and feed them.

Thanks gals.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I wish you a speedy recovery. The next time you get sick, you should seek medical help if the fever goes over 103.

7. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Once when I was hospitalized for pyelonephritis about thirty years ago, I had a temperature that went over 104 degrees - I had collapsed at work and my employer told me to get myself to a doctor. I went to my urologist, and he took one look and wanted to call an ambulance to transport me about a block to the hospital. I drove myself over, got admitted, and sent up to the floor. The nurses and the doctors were rather excited about it, and I started having illusions or hallucinations, or whatever. They got it down very quickly, but it was horrendous. I have had pyelonephritis several times due to having been born without a valve in my right ureter. It is not fun; but usually my fever tops out around 104 degrees. Not that time.

The bad thing was that I had developed a nasty tendency to try and ignore it because it had happened so many times, and the doctors always wanted to put me in the hospital which meant an expensive bill and missing work and college. I don't do that anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by