I have the luckiest little eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CocoPopz, Jan 9, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Nearly 21 days ago now I decided to let my broody hatch some babies, I wasn't 100% sure but I thought,hey why not, it was her first time so it worried me, but I had hope after my other silkie hatched herself 3 chicks, I only gave her 4 eggs and she's a great mum to say it's her first time so I thought I'd put 4 under my second silkie (didn't want to push her) 2 weeks Into it she started going downhill, letting then get way to cold, so I kept encouraging her back on the best and put food and water close to her (she's still in the shed with others) but no, te stupid chicken was getting off the nest for way to long and then my other hens would get on her nest and lay their eggs, so obviously the eggs was getting moved about way to much too, I thought no way will they work, but me being who I am I didn't want to throw them, so I kept them under her, I didn't want to stress her moving them, then one of my other hens tried squeezig into the nest and the eggs had fell out, baring in mind over here we've had snow and ice so they really was freezing, I candled them and I could see slight movement (unsure if I was imagining it) I put the 3 that was fertile back under her, the next day they had warmed up, and 2 of them was definitely moving around, 1 unsure. Then now they're nearly ready to hatch she left them again!! To find one of my younger hens sat on them, and they was cold. I even noticed a small crack on the shell where the air cell is, so I thought enough is enough, she's rubbish I'm taking them home, they either work or they won't ( expecting them to definitely be dead. I've put them in the incubator, couldn't help myself and after an hour candled them, yes my babies are still moving! How I do not know! I'm so glad I didn't give up, but will they hatch? When will they hatch? Who knows, we will have to wait and see!
    So they've been rolled into freezing weather conditioned, pecked, stood on and kicked, these are hard core eggs!
    If they hatch, IF, do I bring them up in my brooder and spoil them rotten OR give them to my amazing broody hen that currently has 3 2 week old silkie chicks? Hmm what do you guys think? I'm 99% sure she will have them no problem but I just feel so protective over them [​IMG] haha

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Just remember that their cold snaps could have slowed development so keep them going even up to day 28 before you worry about them not hatching.

Good luck!

3. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking, the big egg, by looking at the air cell, it's as if it's development is on like day 18, whereas the smaller egg looks about day 15, so let's hope the humidity and heat lets then develop properly! When and if they hatch, should I bring them up or let my broody?

4. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Also good news, I've seen 2 wriggling like no tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by