I have the most CONSIDERATE chickens ... now with *PICS*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texasgal, Jul 20, 2010.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I have 4 EEs .. 24 weeks .. recently started laying.

They took right to the nest boxes right away .. good girls.

However ...

When they are free ranging, they come up onto the porch and lay right by the door .. while the others are on the steps cheering her on.

I'm thinking about building a nice planter box .. with a plant in one side, and a nest box in the other .. so that they can have a nice box to lay in .. since they are going to the trouble of providing service to the door .. kinda like a mail box for mail ..

Special delivery .. nest box ..

.... now I'm rambling ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. renniegirl

renniegirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    North Fort Myers
    Funny that you posted this, my 3 peking ducks and my 3 hens and rooster spend a great majority of every day on my front porch too! I have a big wooden chair that my rooster sits on, staring into the kitchen whenever he hears me in there. I do believe that the planter-slash nest box sounds like a great idea! I wonder if they would really use it? Mine are about 17 weeks ols now and no eggs yet but you never know!?[​IMG]

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    If I was outside when my EEs had to lay an egg they would lay it right at my feet!

4. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Okay...That is great. You have to take a picture of the planter/nest box and post it.....Only put in plants they can eat and while they are delivering the eggs they can grab a snack.

5. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Big Red's Mom :

Okay...That is great. You have to take a picture of the planter/nest box and post it.....Only put in plants they can eat and while they are delivering the eggs they can grab a snack.

This is what I'm thinking ... Ya'll help me here .. what plant do chickens like that would, lets say, supply her with some added calcium or something while she's laying an egg ...

I'm sure Shiner would appreciate it .. he's always right up there -- practically on top of them -- when they are laying ...

They are REALLY REALLY attracted to that corner .. so I don't think using the box would be an issue .. I'll make it a low profile box .. Can't wait to show ya'll! hehe​

6. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I'd try alfalfa. It keeps coming back and my chickens LOVE it- and it has pretty little purple and white flowers.

7. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    The problem is going to be sunshine .. there is NONE in this particular corner .. which is why I think they like it ..

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I set up a large, plastic, hooded cat litter box on my back porch when I found a hidden nest near the porch. Filled it with a deep layer of pine shavings. It was used the very first day, and has been used since by a couple of the girls. Even the roo checked it out and announced it was good for his ladies.

I am continuing to check in the usual suspect spots, but so far the eggs not laid in the nest boxes in the coops have been laid in the Alternate Nest on the porch. Sweet!

9. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    what about some ornamental kale? Kale has quite a lot of calcium, as well as lots of other good stuff. [​IMG]

10. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Ooooooooh .. that would be lovely, huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by