I have the worst egg-layers...help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heychickiedoo, Nov 7, 2014.

1. heychickiedoo

heychickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Fort Collins, CO
    We have three hens and NONE of them are currently laying! We haven't seen an egg in nearly three months! I know that they don't lay as often in cooler months, but we've had a warm fall (avg. 65 degrees) and it is only just november. We haven't seen an egg since the end of August! What is going on??? Here is some background info: their breeds are Wyandotte, Ameraucana, and Blue Andalusian. The Wyandotte had been laying really consistently (almost an egg a day) until she went broody a little over a month and a half ago. We broke her of this within a week but haven't seen an egg since. Our Blue Andalusian stopped laying a little before that, and she was fairly consistent too. The Ameraucana has NEVER laid an egg. She shows no signs of being a roo and she's perfectly healthy. They run around the backyard often and there is not a hidden nest because I have searched high and low. All the girls eat well, are healthy and show no signs of anything being "off". The only thing I've noticds is more than usual Wyandotte and Ameraucana feathers around their coop...perhaps a molt?

I'm just at a loss because we got chickens for the eggs....and now no eggs. :-( I appreciate any advice or ideas!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. stewart4888

stewart4888 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Anderson South Carolina
    I have 7 hens and now I'm getting only 3 to 4 eggs a day 2 hens lay daily and I am not sure about the other two. My Americana has not layed but 4 eggs in a month. To control their laying I leave them in their coop until after lunch every day. So I know that there going to lay in their nests. Chickens will lay in places and their nest can be at the house next door bushes usually under a little cover where it doesn't get direct rain. In your nesting box leave one egg and mark it with a pencil if you removed all their eggs the chicken might not lay their again. I hope this will help

3. stewart4888

stewart4888 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Anderson South Carolina
    You can feed them laying food.

4. heychickiedoo

heychickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks for your responses! They are fed layer feed already, and they also have access to oyster shells. I will try putting an egg in the nesting box as "inspiration" and see if anything changes. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by