I have the worst luck with room mates

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm mostly just venting before I talk to her when she wakes up. I must have the worst luck with room mates! I'm away at an internship and got stuck with a random. She's a little annoying as a person, but I didn't think she was too bad at first. Last week I wake up and go into the kitchen. The entire FLOOR is covered in shredded cheese. It was her cheese and it looked like she took the bag and just shook it all over the floor. It was really bizaare and I found the bag hanging off the shelf completely open. I thought maybe it had just fallen and she didn't notice. I vacuumed it up and mentioned to her what I found. I told her maybe the bag just got knocked over and she didn't realize and it wasn't a big deal. She apologized and I thought everything was fine.

This week I had a feeling someone had been eating my sliced american cheese. I kept finding the bag open and tossed in the drawer, but couldn't tell if any was missing. Yesterday I put the cheese in the way back of the fridge behind my bread and under the eggs. Well this morning I wake up and everything in the fridge is moved and almost ALL my cheese is gone. I didn't even have enough to make a sandwich and I can't go to the store until this weekend when I am home.

What the heck is it with people? I had told her she is welcomed to share my lettuce, because I get it from the garden. I shared some soup with her one night because I made a LOT. However, I expressly told her she needs to do her own food shopping. The weirdest thing is...she has her own sliced cheese in the fridge. It is the singles kind and there is no way to confuse the two. The kind I get is expensive (even though it is the cheaper kind! I had a whole pound for sandwiches and now it is gone!) and she cannot keep eating it on me.

I'm going to figure maybe she doesn't realize she just can't eat my food. I have a feeling she has been eating other things too. So today I'm going to tell her that I will label my stuff and she cannot eat my food because 1. it is mine and 2. It is expensive!

She did mention to me once that she wakes up in the middle of the night and eats. I have no idea if she sleep walks and eats, but I have started locking my door at night. The last thing I need is someone sleep walking into my room! However, if this is the case, I have no idea what I will do. If she truly doesn't know she is doing it, she will have a hard time stopping. But ugh, am I ticked right now!!

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Two words:

Mouse trap.

Seriously, though, as I read your post, I started wondering if she sleep walks. Can you secure your food to the point that she gives up trying to eat it (duct tape?), although that makes it inconvenient for you. Can you put a cooler in your room, and secure your cheese, etc. in that overnight?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We used to have a fridge in our room because our kids just didn't give a crap if they ate all our lunch stuff. [​IMG]

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:The cooler idea is a good one. I just sent her a text because she didn't wake up before I left for work. I said that my cheese had been disappearing for the whole week and was mostly gone this morning. I said I labelled the rest of my cold cuts and mentioned that she has her own cheese on the door of the fridge which she can label with her name and use. If she tells me she doesn't remember using my cheese I will grab a cooler and an ice pack when I go home this weekend and store my stuff in there overnight. Luckily I only have to room with her for another month so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I thought about bringing my small fridge, but since I will only be here another month, I don't think it will be worth it to lug the thing up to my room. That would be a good idea though.

People can just be so gross. I can't wait to live on my own! This girl makes such a mess in the kitchen, but I don't say anything because I'm only living with her for a short time. It just amazes me how messy people can live! I'm learning to make compromises because I grew up in a very clean house with a mother who constantly cleaned (and still cleans!). I realize others don't come from the same background but people still amaze me. (and not always in a good way!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by