I have this EGG problem....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My hen has finally started laying again after taking the month off (moulting) and she is now in a NEW coop. She lays like clockwork now in the approved nest we gave her but she scratches way down to the bottom and every time she lays an egg the pointy end is broken [​IMG] SO I fry it up and feed it back to the hens rather than throw it away. HOW do I stop this?? Anyone have any ideas!? HELP! Right now SHE Is our only laying hen because the others have not started laying yet they are only 14 weeks old. We WANT to eat that lonely egg we get daily from her [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What are you using for bedding? Mine will do that with hay but, if I put wood shavings in the bottom they will only go as far as the shavings and then lay.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    What are you using for bedding?

We pack down pine shavings and top it with chopped straw.

One of our friends puts little squares of indoor/outdoor carpet down under the bedding to prevent egg breakage.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I do use pine shavings and a lot of it too lol She digs and digs and throws it all out! Silly hen! My dad mentioned to use a square piece of carpet and nail it down to the box also. I may try that [​IMG] I'm going to do it tonight so my egg tomorrow will be UNbroken [​IMG] Now I am on the search for a carpet square...not sure if we have any around here or now. I wonder if a small rug folded up and nailed down will work. I have six nest boxes that I have to do so I hope to fine some used carpet. Thanks for the info [​IMG]

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I don't think I'd nail it down because you'll want to be able to remove it for cleaning or replacing....... think bugs.

6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    You could also try once of those drawer-liner thingies that you buy in rolls at places like wal-mart. They are the ones that are made out of some kind of squishy foam stuff that is non-skid. Maybe a couple of layers on the bottom of the nest?

I use this stuff on the floors of the nesting cavities in my purple martin birdhouse. It's made of aluminum and sometimes they don't cover the floor with enough nesting materials, so I put in the non-skid drawer liner stuff so the chicks don't get spraddle leg.

7. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I've been having the same problem! [​IMG] I am constantly replacing or repositioning the bedding so it covers the bottom of the nest boxes. I love the idea of a piece of carpet that fits right into the bottom of them so the eggs never hit the wood.

Thanks for that great idea!! [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    You could also try once of those drawer-liner thingies that you buy in rolls at places like wal-mart. They are the ones that are made out of some kind of squishy foam stuff that is non-skid. Maybe a couple of layers on the bottom of the nest?

OK I have some of this stuff! I'm going to try it. Can't seem to find carpet pieces anyhow. That way I can just take it out and add new if it gets messy. She has not pooed in there yet, hope she doesn't! It's funny watching her go from nest to nest trying to find the "right" one. Thanks for that idea!​

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:OK I have some of this stuff! I'm going to try it. Can't seem to find carpet pieces anyhow. That way I can just take it out and add new if it gets messy. She has not pooed in there yet, hope she doesn't! It's funny watching her go from nest to nest trying to find the "right" one. Thanks for that idea!

You can wash that stuff also.

10. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking she's enjoying those fried eggs and has figured out how to keep 'em coming! just kidding...

I would try the carpet under the shavings. See if that works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by