I have this one pullet that....UPDATE! She did it!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Nov 18, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    has gone squat crazy!
    She's a salmon faverolles. Just over the last few days she has become super friendly. She started squating for me day before yesterday.
    Today I was out around the coop quite a bit, cleaning it and the waterers, making some adjustments, etc., and this pullet barely left my side. Every single time I looked at her, she'd immediately go into a squat and start stomping her feet. Different from my other hens and pullets though because she wouldn't stand back up until I did something.
    I started patting her on the back and telling her she was a good girl and that seemed to satisfy her. If she doesn't lay an egg by this time next week I will be shocked.
    Teenage human kids or teenage chickens, I'm not sure which is worse. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    [​IMG] I am waiting patiently for my pullets to start squatting. Congratz!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks. When she lays she will be the first of my younger flock to do so; except for the meatie pullets. They've been laying for a week or two now. I think the salmon faverolles and the speckled sussex will be the first ones of my younger flock. I just hope they all don't like me as much as this girl seems to. [​IMG]

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    She sounds so sweet. [​IMG]

5. ZuulLanceMaster

ZuulLanceMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    California
    Quote:XD ya!
    she sounds SUPER SWEET! [​IMG]
    i have an old BO chicken, bottom of the pecking order, and the rooster's "favorite." she'd be running at top speed away from him, and i would usually pick her up. so after that, i'd walk up, and she'd stretch up her neck to be "saved." so cute! had to stop THAT habit, though. now she's more self dependent.

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Squatting is when they bend down and hunch their shoulders, right? Like, right before I'm about to pick them up?

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, they squat down and spread their wings out a bit. The rooster will sometimes stand on their wings for mating. Foot stomping by the hen is optional. I have some other girls that squat, but this one is the only one that stomps her feet.
    After you put them back down, you may notice that they shake off. This is the mechanism by which the hen moves the roosters sperm to her infundibulum, where it awaits eggs to fertilize.

DH said I should point this girl in the direction of my cockerel Impy, since it's his job, not mine. Problem is, Impy is right now infatuated with the CX pullets who are all laying. Guess he justs like his women on the large side. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My little runt Lil'Bit was like that. When she was a pullet and a rooster was after her, she'd jump right up into my arms. I too had to break her of the habit. Once she was of what I felt was a sufficient size to be mated, I had to set her down and let it happen. [​IMG]

9. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] That is hilarious! I have a BO just like that, DH calls her my "fainting chicken." I literally just have to glance in her direction and she immediately squats, look away...she stands back up, look back...squat. It's a fun little party trick.

She doesn't do the stomping though, I actually don't have any hens that do the squat/stomp. Ooooo, new fad dance for the kids, the squat/stomp, it'll be all the rage.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by