I have three duckies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CANDLE98, Apr 29, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Well I decided I already have too many chickens why not add some ducks! We went to our local hatchery and picked out three Kahki campbell ducklings. At what age can I tell what sex they are? I am just brooding them with my chicks and everything seems to be going well they get along great!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I vent sexed mine at one or two weeks and they looked like females. So far at 8 weeks they look like females still. See my website to see them at 8 weeks. I am hopeful I don't see a curly tail or a green head! I wanted females and eggs pretty bad!

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I just love my ducks! They are only a week old I think! They are the same size as my 2 week old chicks! I will check out your web site when I get home, my work computer blocks it! Thanks!

4. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    Good lordie, I should have read this thread before I posted mine. I too, would like to know the best age for sexing duckies. I know nothing about vent sexing other than what the Amish people around here have told me and I still don't get it. *sigh*

My duckies are finally big enough to run around and free range with my chickens. It's sooooo much fun to watch them in a mud puddle! They seem to be running the chickens off when I set out treats, which I think it hilarious because some of my hens are really feisty. Even the meaner of my hens seem to step back when a duck tells her to. I love it!

Congrats on your new buddies. I know you'll have a blast with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by