1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have to be crazy!!! Or have i been blessed by the chicken gods?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by equine chick, May 27, 2007.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    My neighbor who i buy hay from is giving me 20 chickens in the fall when they move. HE asked my dh if i would take them, they are assorted chickens, what kind i'm not really sure all layers though. My dh said yes, she would not turn down any chickens. He said his other neigbor wanted them to take them to the butcher. They are only 2 years old and are good layers. This means we need to build another coop and bigger pen. That would give me around 60 chickens. HE has a nice lil side business of selling his eggs to a few local restaurants and groceries. (he used to have over 100 chickens). i'm going to take over his business of egg selling. I have to be crazy, what's funny is dh used to think i was crazy because i wanted a couple of chickens, now he is getting into the addiction. Am i nuts?

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Well, maybe a little, but that ok. We all are!!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Welcome to the "madness" [​IMG] When I started, I told my DH, " I only want 6 or 7 for eggs for us"
    well....now I am the proud mommy of 17 Buff Orps, 5 Ameracaunas, 1 Dom, 15 Banty cochin Frizzles, 1 polish roo( who needs a few hens) and 13 RIR mix. Thas 52.....now I tell hubby..." I meant 67, NOT 6 or 7" [​IMG]

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sounds good to me! Of course that's exactly how I ended up with 32 chickens last fall so I may not be a good one to ask. [​IMG]
    Now all you have to do is convince dh that the birds must live in the coop they're used to and get the guy to give you the coop too. Works for me! [​IMG]

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Unfortunately, he kept them in his big barn, so no coop. I have a barn but if i kept all the chickens in there there would be no room for the horses. I'm thinking of just buying a couple of yard barns and add on to our coop. That might not be the cheapest but the easiest way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by