I have to gush about my little babies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mrsgibber, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    When I started my quest to raise chickens 9 months ago it was mainly for the idea of tick control in our yard, plus the fresh eggs. Little did I know how much these little girls would charm me. I can spend hours watching my 4 1/2 week old (2-Golden Comets, 1-Ameraucana, 1-White Silkie, 1 -Black Sexlink, 1-Belgian Quail Antwerp) chicks. They captivate me, they relax me after a long day, they make me laugh and they make me feel like a new mama all over again.

We have a routine every evening now. I get home from work, check on them and say hello. Then their cage gets a little freshening up, clean water & food that they devour like they haven't eaten all day...even though they nearly clean out their dish, followed by a little yogurt treat. Then it's play time. All their dishes come back out and I sprinkle in about a cup of dirt from out in my yard. They make a bee line for this stuff! After a little foraging, one by one they fall to the floor and start their dust baths (which is why the dishes come out...what a mess). They must take their little baths for a good 20 minutes. Six chicks all rolling around and kicking up their dirt and litter. It is really the funniest thing to see.

After that they seem tuckered out. They do a little preening and head for their roost. The dishes go back in and I head reluctantly back upstairs.

I love having chickens. Sure the eggs will be great and they'll eat some of our many ticks around the yard but things have changed. I have chickens now because I love them and they make me happy. [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We love your chickens, too! [​IMG]

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    sounds cute! thats why i keep getting more and more animals. they relax me. i love to watch my ducks in their pool until a mean fox got all of them but one! [​IMG] but dont worry i have 6 new babies who i am hoping will do great! i give my chicken some bread as a treat. havent found anything yet that dont like bread.

4. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    oh the chicks are great..and they continue to be a great joy when they are hens! (and roosters)

I dont think we will ever stop adding to our flock.

We used to keep the chicks in the spare room next to the incubator. But for the last few days they have beed on the dinning room table....I love having them there...I can watch them all day, and they dont seem as scared of people now.

Enjoy them!!!

~Tiff~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by