1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have to introduce my solo hen to the new babies....help!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chaosfactory, Nov 1, 2011.

1. chaosfactory

chaosfactory Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Last week I lost 4 of my 5 hens to raccoons (I think).....since it's getting cold and a solo chicken is just sad I found some new babies locally yesterday...yay!! They are 3 week old easter eggers and there are 8 of them. How long should I keep them isolated to make sure I'm not introducing any disease or anything to my solo hen? They came from craigslist and the lady said they were npip certified healthy, and they seem fine, but I don't want to do any more damage to my one laying hen!
    Also I'd be happy to hear any tips on integrating the babies.....the hen I have is just 6 months old and she has never met any new chickens, just her first coop-mates and they were all sent to me together from the hatchery!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi! So sorry to hear about your hens.

I'm pretty new to chickens, so I hope you get some experienced replies. From my reading, though, it would seem that there would be a better chance of your older hen passing disease to the small ones. I have some three week olds and won't take the chance of integrating them with some 8-weekers that I have because of diseases and size. They're still pretty small, right?

Maybe one lone hen would actually be more protective of them - especially since she's been all alone? I'm curious as well!

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Unless it's you, too, there is another thread about "adding chicks to coop with one hen". It sounds like it's going ok!

4. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Keep them apart for a few weeks, is usually the rule of thumb (some people can't wait that long, but be VERY diligent about checking for sickness if you mix them earlier).

When mixing a big group of youngsters with a smaller group of olders, I go for supervised visits until they're getting along, but the age/size difference is gonna work to the older one's advantage- she might just be bossy, not mean to the new kids. I have a run I stick any outsiders in and let them visit through the "prison fence", then free range together, THEN they can all wake up in the same room.

And make sure you predator-proofed!

5. chaosfactory

chaosfactory Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Tallahassee
    We have definitely predator proofed!!!! And I was planning on supervised visits from everything else I have read here.....I don't wanna traumatize poor Sofia any more than she already has been since she lost all her 'sisters'!!

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'll go look for the other post about solo hens right now!

6. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Good luck!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by