I have to make some choices

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattee, May 6, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    [​IMG]
    I have my coop up and ready to go...
    I got my beautiful 11 babies from MPC *I didn't expect them all to live* Now I'm just going to have to give some away and I can't stand it [​IMG]

I'm heart broken, but it's just something I have to do to have safe healthy chickens... so well anyway I just had to let some one know and you all are so helpful.
    Thanks

2. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Oh man, that's a tough one. I did the same thing. Ordered 11 thinking that there would be some mortality in transit. Luckily, DH built the coop to hold 16 knowing that this wouldn't be the end.

So I got lucky. Sorry you have to find homes! You are way too far away or I would offer to fill out the rest of my coop!

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry for you.... I have to give a bunch of mine away too. I've got a few roos that are soooo cute now... but I really can't keep them.

Good luck in parting with them. Guess if you know they've a good home it'll help a bit.

ps. I posted on Craigs list too. Someone said that they had good luck there.

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I found a lovely vegetarian lady who just wanted chickens to roam around her three acres on Craig's List. She is taking all my roos and any pullets I have over my limit.

I had to get extras, more than I wanted or could have, because of a minimum purchase of 6 chicks at our farm stores. Of course, they had the two breeds I wanted (Black sex-link and RIR's) but at two separate stores. That meant I had to buy 12 chicks to get the 4 I wanted. I got my 2 RIR's, 4 EE chicks and 6 Black s-l's. With the older chicks I have, I have 8-10 more than I need or have room for. So the lady I found will end up with a nice flock of chickens. I've already given her 3 EE's, 1 Buff Orp, 1 Barred Rock from my older batch of straight run chicks and I'm taking her 8 of my week old chicks Thursday.

I was lucky to find her!! She's thrilled to get all these chicks for free and my chicks are getting a good home.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  5. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I'm so sorry any of you have to do it too! I've heard Craig's list is good and I'll check that out ...
    I know I'm sick about it~
    I have all hens "knock on wood*

I have:
    Antwerp Belgian Bantam
    Silver Laced Polish
    White Crested Black Polish Bantam
    Golden Laced Polish
    Golden Laced Wyandottes
    Silver Laced Wyandottes
    2 Barred Plymouth Rock Bantams
    Australorps
    Buff Silkie Bantam
    Ameraucana Bantam
    [​IMG]
    Now do I go for funny or eggs or a bit of both?

Right now I'm thinking of my 2 Barred Plymouths, Australorps, and my silkie....
    [​IMG]
    I can't stand it!
    [​IMG]
    Anyone got any ideas??? Not to 11 but for a bit of both?
    Thanks Everyone!

6. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Oh man. I would totally take your silver laced polish if I wasn't on the other coast!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How big is your coop?

8. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey just add on to the coop. If this is impossible, I would keep them as long as I could. Favorites will pop up as you go and knowing what ones you really want to keep makes giving the others away easier. Errrrrrrr, maybe easier.

9. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Well the thing is my coop will probably hold them but the restrictions and neighbors are to take in to consideration [​IMG]
    The outside space is not big enough for the 11 of them... at all.

Nothing is going to make it easier.... and they say if you give them as chicks they will get abetter home (?)

I am going to have some free range in my yard.... I just love them all and now I look at them and think Ok hmmmm now I can't give you up!! Ack! [​IMG]

10. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I need acreage!!!!!!!
    Somewhere ~~~~~~~ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by