I have to put the 3 Stooges in jail :( PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NYRIR, Jun 29, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    This spring I impulsively bought assorted bantams at TSC. No Problem!...they're cute,they're little....until I got 3 out of 4 Golden Sebright roos.I had to separate them from the big guys after a while so I thought, I have a cage just the right size,I'll just bring 'em in at night and free range during the day.It was working beautifully....for a while.Then the kids and DH got REALLY sick of the 4 am crow fest in the house every day! [​IMG] So it was off to the coop in a cage at night(it's REALLY fun to try and catch these guys when they KNOW you are putting them in (if you aren't trying to catch them...they get right underfoot!) [​IMG] Now , Larry( single comb) is probably the best behaved of the three but still crows CONSTANTLY and tries to mate ALL available hens....Mo( right style comb but very poor markings ) is a constant crower and likes to try and pick fights with my D'Uccle roos(who I am trying to keep and breed), Curly( a BEARDED sebright...yeah,bearded!)...is always trying to "trick" hens into coming closer with promises of "invisible" food and also constantly crows...[​IMG] Of course all this commotion is upsetting the LF roos who are constantly coming to the hens defenses.(they never hurt the little guys,just chase 'em off) [​IMG]
    These three are absolutely some of the cutest darn roos I have ever seen! [​IMG] They are all friendly to people and run around the yard together like three little outlaws. [​IMG]
    But now I am trying to do right by the whole flock...so I have decided that until I can find a taker, ( oh how I wish I could keep these little guys!)they will have to be caged [​IMG] I HATE to do it....swore I never would...but now with these three I don't see any other way!
    I am hoping someone on here just understands my situation because I feel AWFUL to do it...but I can't let DH kill them just to kill them and they are so small to eat it probably wouldn't even be doable since DH's hands are so big!These guys have SO much personality.I just feel really bad about having to commit them to a cage [​IMG]
    Darn the cute little roos!! [​IMG]
    I think I MIGHT have finally learned that straight run is a BAD thing for bantams as I have 4 new Blue Cochin Bantams ordered straight run that I believe 3 of the 4 are roos [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Maybe you could guilt trip the Hubby into building them a chicken tractor. That would be happier than a cage.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    This probably isn't going to work but I had a darling little bantam roo I had to keep in the house and his crowing early in the morning was annoying, too. What I did was put him in a pet carrier at night and stick him in my walk in closet. The darkness kept him quiet until I got him out. That won't solve the other problems but if you wanted, you could do what I did and let them free range during the day?

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Oregon Blues....I hadn't thought of the tractor idea....that would be workable...or maybe a small run...hmmm

birdlover...I tried to keep it dark around them...they crowed anyway [​IMG]

5. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    Post an ad at your local feed store for FREE STOOGES!

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. pottymouthspoultry

pottymouthspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Adirondack Mountains
    Good one VkyVky!

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I put my extra roos in a bachelor coop and I never regretted it. They even get a little time to free range when the hens and head roo are in their run. I have been thinking about making a bigger run for the bachelor roos in the style of a hoop coop, maybe with cattle panels and PVC pipe which looks a little easier and less expensive than some other types of runs.

9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    scratch'n'peck :

I put my extra roos in a bachelor coop and I never regretted it. They even get a little time to free range when the hens and head roo are in their run. I have been thinking about making a bigger run for the bachelor roos in the style of a hoop coop, maybe with cattle panels and PVC pipe which looks a little easier and less expensive than some other types of runs.

The problem is convincing DH to spend more time/money on these little rogues! Right now we are in the middle of building our turkey coop!( and then a bigger goose hut [​IMG]
    Anyway...here's some pics of the jail birds!
    [​IMG]

And check out Curly's beard...too cute!
    [​IMG]

Anyway,after the turkeys move to the coop the stooges can have the brooder...it's huge for them...but I am already thinking of ways to build a coop and run cheap [​IMG]

10. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Is Curly the one with the rose comb in back?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by