I have to put them in the coop! What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wizbop, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    So, my girls' coop is an A frame tractor. There is PLENTY of room inside for roosting, but they won't go in at night. Every night I have to take them off the top of the coop and put them in one by one. PITA! What is the deal? Do they just like it better out there? I've had my hubby move the roost over to the middle of the coop (inside)so that they will have enough head/butt room. I'd just like for them to get their feathered tails in by themselves each night, ya know? So, all I would then have to do is like it down. [​IMG]

2. Give em some time. They will eventually learn. Sounds like you may have to put them on the roost pole for a while to teach them where you want them. They will come around....Hopefully![​IMG]

3. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I had to do that to when mine were young to, but eventually they figured it out. I'm sure yours will to [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Also make sure you don't have mites or lice. Sometimes they don't want to get in the coop where they will be chewed on. But I don't know your situation. They might just be acting like little babies!![​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have a few that refuse to be trained --- one sleeps on TOP of the coop and one climbs a tree. Half Leghorns, what should I expect?? But their mama's roos in the coop just fine, figured it out about 2 days after I built it and never had an issue since. Little biddies they are!

6. Wizbop

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    No, they know HOW to roost and do so when I put them in the coop. They just want to be on TOP of the coop, not in it.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My chicks love their coop. I don't no why but they are always ready to go to bed.

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Maybe they feel like they need to be higher??? Just guessing.

9. Wizbop

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote:That's what I'm afraid of. They're just going to have to deal w/ it if that's the case.

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Can you put a light in there to coax them in. We got a tap on battery light @ home depot. easy to install and pretty cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by