I have to shed two roos. Please help decide?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Atomic Ranch, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Hello,

My chickens are all 20 - 22 weeks. 14: 11 hens and 3 cockerels. They are starting to lay and crow. As a chicken newb, I was hopeful that all of them would continue to get along swimmingly, and they were all raised together. I've been told that ONE rooster is appropriate for 11 hens. Research seems to agree. Two questions:

1. Is this true? Do you agree that I should only have one cockerel to 11 hens, and that I have to re-home(?) two?

2. Which rooster do I keep?

The cochin: Clearly, the flock leader. Fertilized eggs, every one so far (about a dozen), so he gets on with the ladies. He paces outside the coop after dark, I assume protecting his flock, until I come out to shut them in. I hear they eat a lot, though, and if I want more chickens, the offspring will eat more and lay less.

The buff orpington: The most personable, by a landslide. He suffers a peck on his comb every now and then though.

The leghorn: A rescue. I think he's the most interesting to look at, he doesn't crow (perhaps due to the health issue) as of yet, and is gentle with the ladies. Extremely agile and scrappy. Offspring would lay more, yes? He's near the bottom of the pecking order though.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    I'll post photos tomorrow. [​IMG]

Photos on page 4...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Unless you feel like switching roos now and then or something, yeah, one for that flock is best otherwise the girls will be stressed and bare-backed.

The choice is up to you, really. If you're into hatching your own chicks, the Leghorn will throw good egg layers but small, skinny, possibly skittish types. The Cochin and Orpington will throw fluffier looking offspring and they'll have more chance of going broody and raising their own, but they won't be as super of layers. They'll have great personalities though.

Also, the Buff is more likely to throw neat colors. The Cochin, depends on the color. The Leghorn will mostly throw whites if not whites with brown or black on them.

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

A rooster that protects the flock to a degree and doesn't assault me or my friends and is not mean to the other roosters is a gem. The lesser roosters will change personality when they are in charge so you will have an unknown situation with them.

5. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Wow, really interesting. I wish I could see the other two in top order!

That's a lot to think about, actually. Perhaps I can give them more time? Will they attack each other at some point? [​IMG]

Yes, the buff cochin protects the flock. They all pay attention to his warnings (of a crow, or a trashcan, etc), and he has never displayed aggression. Yet.

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I had 3 roosters with 9 hens. They got along fine. They did have a favorite hen though, and she always had a bare back.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They may have a couple fights, nothing too serious, just an establishment of who's on top. After a while it should level out.

8. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Quote:Did she act as though she was afraid of (or resented) them? Not that I'm projecting human sensibilities, but I really would love to keep them all. Unless there's a ton of noise at some point. Or ghastly injuries, or miserable hens. Since these are my first, I appreciate forecasts in chicken city... [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    For 11 hens, I think 3 roosters is over-kill. You'll mainly notice bare backs, but that can easily lead to open sores and cuts. Also if they're in a small area, it is even worse. If they're free ranged or pastured on a big enough place it is better. But still, during mating, one male may be interrupted by the other two, which is no fun for the hen.

10. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Quote:Yes, that's what I've heard. They're in a 10 x 30 foot run under some pepper trees. I'm just wondering if I should do some preliminary paring down, or if I can wait. And of course, if the former, which one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by