I have to start penning my free rangers :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fushalilly, Aug 5, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG] Im so sad for them, but my mom cannot take to poo in the yard anymore. I have 3 RIR mixes and I penned them in a run with about a king-size bed sq. footage of grass and patches of dust for bathing. There small coop is attached to it. Is this enough space for my 3 girls?

Again, thats
    grass space- king size bed amount
    Coop- 6sq ft.

Oh yea and three nest boxes [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you're golden. they will have enough space. and mom will be happy, so EVERYONE will be happy!

3. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Awwww. I'm sure it's enough space. Maybe can you and your mother compromise? Let the chickens range at least a few hours a day? They like to eat all the pesky bugs in your yard. The poopie is good for the yard too.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    .........or tell her you'll spray the poop into the grass and it will be a great fertilizer and don't forget to stress the "no bugs" as well. After working with mine for a couple weeks I finally trained them not to go on the concrete walks or my flower beds. Maybe you if promise to train them to stay off the walks she may reconsider too.
    As for the run area; it should be big enough, but you won't have grass there for long. You'll have to bring them fresh greens and bugs.

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Just remember that in a few short days or maybe even a week or two, that grassy patch will be dirt. Just dirt. At least thats what happened to our run, and it is huge...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by