1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have too many chickens--what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by careybeau, Sep 2, 2008.

1. careybeau

careybeau Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    HI,
    I started with 25 chicks from Mcmurray hatchery a year ago. About 15 made it. We had 3 ornery roosters that we ate. Then, for fun, I incubated some eggs, 6 more chickens. Then two mamas laid on their eggs-12 more chickens! Then a mama went broody (without us even knowing--we have 8 acres and they free-range) and 10 more babies were born!! Now I have another broody hen!
    What do I do with all these chickens??? My hubby's getting tired of them hanging around our back door trying to snag the cat's food. I tried building a coop and run ( it was huge!) but they kept getting out. Plus, they seem healthier free ranging. Should I advertise to give some away? We've eaten a few but honestly it always upsets me! How crazy! My husband wants to eat one a week until we have a manageable bunch (which means I get to clean it--great:eek:). Any ideas? I'm overrun!
    Thanks!

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Craigslist, auction or Freecycle. You don't close them in at night, is that right?

3. careybeau

Apr 16, 2008
    No, although they wander into our garage. We haven't had any eaten or killed by other animals.
    Thanks! I think I might try Craigslist, although these guys are all "mutts"--they're a combo of a Dominque rooster and either barred rock hens or RIR's. If anyone lives close and wants some--let me know! ( I live in GA)

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    They sound pretty! I don't think it matters if they are purebred-lots of people look for chickens on CL [​IMG]

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    careybeau:
    where are you?

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Is it possible to have too many chickens?

[​IMG]

7. thirtyflowers

thirtyflowers New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    OMG my husband would be estatic if we could have that many

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    OK, seriously now ~ if you want to eat them but don't want the hassle of cleaning, there might be a local butcher/abbatoir who would process for you. We have one in our small town, and it's great for hunters, small farmers, etc.

Or you could post here on the forum! Maybe there are BYCers who would buy them.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  9. careybeau

Apr 16, 2008
    LOL! Yes! You can have too many! Especially when they seem to keep cropping up!
    I just talked to the lady at the feed store and she told me to take some pictures and post them there. She said there are people always wanting chickens.
    I think we will still have to eat some! The feed store helped me a lot with that. She told me how to skin them rather than plucking, etc. Our birds are usually too tough to eat any other way than stewed.
    Thanks!

10. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I agree with everyone else - sell them on Craigs list and then start over next spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by