1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have two 9.1/2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shekinah, Oct 30, 2011.

1. shekinah

shekinah New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    and I am wondering if they should go outside yet to be with the other chickens. I am in England and it is getting quite cold. My concern is that if I leave them indoors for another 6 weeks and then let them out it will be freezing and they may die. what should I do please?

The other question is that how do I seperate their food as the chicks are on a mixture of chick crumb and growers pellets and the chickens outside are on layers pellets - would it harm the chicks if they went onto layers pellets?

Should I also seperate their water as at the moment I am using a rabbit water feeder.

I am very new to this and we have only been raising chickens since May of this year.

So much help would be appreciated please.

Thank you so much
    Blessings
    Page

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should have no trouble with outside temps at that age. You might introduce them to outside temps slowly if they have been quite warm, though. One solution to the feed problem when there are mixed ages is to feed everyone a lower calcium ration (grower, flock raiser, starter; I'm not familiar with feeds there) and offer oyster shell on the side. I don't know whether that is old enough to feed the extra calcium in layer or not. If it were me I'd store the layer for a couple of months, to be safe. More than one feeder and waterer might be a good idea at least at first while they sort out the pecking order, so no one is prevented from eating or drinking. Depends how well the integration goes, I suppose.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] and Bright Blessings [​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Hi [​IMG] to the BYC

First off 6 weekers have full feathers. Do yours have full feathers and if not all should stay together until all are feathered. The genetics start kicking in and produce more down to compensate for the weather they live in. They will not freeze at all. The question regarding the food separate the food but they all go on medicated chick feed or 16% pullet developer feed and give the laying girls some extra calcium like crushed oyster shells. This the chicks may peck at and may eat but more that likely will not touch it. Water make sure you have vitamin drops in the water for all the flock to drink have a couple around. I have 1 in the coop and 2 in the run.

I would go to the top of this page or any page there is "Learning Center" go check it out pretty great for newbies. Chicken 101 per say. Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by