I have two chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Aug 4, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    about 15 weeks old, how much food should I be giving them? They do have access to a run but not the whole yard.

2. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I've read that you can leave feed in a feeder and they will eat what they need (I believe the term is 'at will'). I have 9 and like to spread feed around their run to give them something to do and scratch for. I also have a feeder in the coop. I also give treats like cut up grapes, an ear of corn, plain yogurt, oats, and yes, bologna. They love it. [​IMG]

3. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    If you leave food available for them all the time they won't overeat. That is usually the simplest way to know they are getting enough.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you provide food, all day long, you can judge what their intake is. You can then provide that amount, adjusting it as needed. A chicken shouldn't go hungry, but neither are you required to have food laying out all night for the rodents. It just takes more management time.

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay I was just giving a 20 oz scoop in the morning and one in the later afternoon evening around dinner time. I keep some in a dish and spread some on the ground to keep them busy. Since I fed them last night about 5pm this morning they didn't seem to thrilled or over excited about this mornings feeding (except one did knock my kid down to stand on her) LOL.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would just keep their feeder constantly full, so they have free choice. That's how I handle my flock. I keep the food inside the coop, so it never has a chance to get wet and stinky, and water outside in the run.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Either that was a huge chicken, or your kid is awfully little! Too cute![​IMG]

8. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks, I plan to put their food in the coop (once I finish it [​IMG] ) right now they're living in my rabbits run and my rabbit is inside. Hopefully the coop and run will be done early next week.

9. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I have 4 chickens with a small roosting coop with an attached run that is (hopefully) rodent proof. I leave the feed and water in the run and ntohing in the roosting coop. they range in the yard most of the day but have access to food and water all day long

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Either that was a huge chicken, or your kid is awfully little! Too cute![​IMG]

LOL, she's little and kinda bossy I think he just needed to teach her a lesson.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by