I have two chicks!

BrahmaMama

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
South Dakota
First one pipped yesterday morning, and I've been good up until this afternoon. He/she was not making any progress, almost like it was stuck in whatever position it was in, and couldn't even turn to zip. It was peeping, and opening it's beak though. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but something didn't seem right, so I helped it a bit. The yolk was completely gone, and I wasn't getting blood from the membrane. When it did break free from the end of the shell, I could see the umbilical area has a small bulge-it doesn't look like intestines are actually "coming out" though. The only thing I can think of was my higher humidity at the beginning of the hatch-my fault
sad.png

The second one was pipped this morning, and really started zipping this afternoon. The whole time I was down there with the first chick, he was working his way around-don't know why I'm calling it a he-maybe cause it seems stronger? I saw it was getting close to actually breaking out, so I run up the 3 flights of stairs-camera in bedroom, lol! And run back down, to find it already out!
gig.gif

I have two more pipped, and three not doing anything yet. Everyone who said to not intervene, feel free to
smack.gif
me; I feel guilty for doing it now, but at the time, it felt like it needed to be done. My only other concern with the first one, was it's eyes didn't open as soon as the second one's did. I've seen it open them now, but I was worried at first-didn't know if they waited a bit to open eyes or not. Both of them are now stumbling all over the place, I thought they would lie still and rest for awhile
idunno.gif
Thanks for listening, if you guys make it this far
big_smile.png
Bare with me as this is my first experience, and I hope to learn from my mistakes, and not do them again.

I've never hatched eggs, but it sounds like you did the right thing in this case to intervene. Congratulations on your new fuzzy butts! Pics??

Thank you Wynette. I'm working on pics-still trying to figure out the camera, I took some pics with the flash off(trying to go through the bator lid) and the shutter (I think) was slow, and pics are blurry. I will for sure get some when they are dry and fluffy.

Isn't it cool? I have a hen sitting on eggs that were due to hatch yesterday. I candled last night because I got worried but all seemed well. I checked this morning and nothing still but didn't look real good at all eggs because the hen was resting. I just checked a few minutes ago and one has starting peeping. I'm pretty excited now. She has 6 eggs under her and it looked like all were still alive and well yesterday. Not counting my chickens yet though.

I think that means spring is coming Brama. I sure hope my chickens know better than I do when that is because I was beginning to lose hope on spring anytime soon. We still have 5 feet of snow in our yard and my outside chicken pen is completely snowed in. I've been trying to dig it out for 4 days now. I'm going out to check with a camera in a couple minutes to check if more have started.
Sorry Brahma I spelled your name wrong.

Last edited:
sounds like you got plenty of a work out with 3 flights of stairs, hope the rest make it out ok.
congratulations

Thanks Countryboy
smile.png
The stairs are only 7 each-it's a multi-level, not a 3 story, just to make sure noone thought I was living in a mansion lol! But yeah, I am out of shape, so any little bit helps
big_smile.png

Thank you Sunnysidecluckers
smile.png

I'm not stalking this post, really, I'm not!
big_smile.png
I have to do something, in order to stay away from the incubator, right?

Back
Top Bottom