1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have two hens, one chick -- should I get a second chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abennett, Jul 28, 2011.

1. abennett

abennett New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    We are so sad! We had two hens and just got two new chicks. Unfortunately, we lost one of the chicks to some sort of predator last night (they were in a cage, but apparently a cat (racoon?) got it's paw under a part of the cage and grabbed the chick. I know chickens need pals, so I'm trying to figure out if we need to get another chick, or just integrate the one chick into the pen with the two older hens. The chick is about 8 weeks old. Thank you for any advice.

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I would get another chick. You don't want to risk the larger hens hurting the baby.

3. KiraCookie

KiraCookie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Maine
    Poor chicky. U shud get another one.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I would get another chick. Putting a vulnerable lone chick in at 8 weeks is a little risky. I usually wait until there around 12 weeks. Would you be getting a baby chick or another 8 week old one?

5. abennett

abennett New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    I won't be putting the chick in with the older hens right away -- I was thinking about putting her cage inside the pen with the hens to help get them used to her?

6. abennett

abennett New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Also, I would probably be getting a younger chick (rather than trying to find another 8-week)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by