I have two new chicks...

Crs1

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
and one still under mama My question/dilemma is they are in a nest that is 12x12. There isn’t much room so I made mash watery and put it in the box. I know this isn’t safe but I’m afraid to move them cuz I tried once before hatch and mama didn’t like it at all
So what am I to do. I’m only going to move them to the floor of the coop
Thanks

They do not need food or water for about 2 days. Generally on day 2 a hen will abandon the nest and take all chicks out to eat. When did the first one hatch?

Today. I thought I would wait until tomorrow to see if the other hatched. I haven’t candles since the other two have hatched but one of the eggs seemed watery. So if it is that one it may not be good

I just went through the same issue but mine had a bad egg brake in the nesting box and I had no choice but to move the mama, chicks and the eggs. The best bet is to get them down to ground level because chicks can fall off and hurt them self. I actually put the two broody mama's together in a large dog create so they wouldn't be bothered by the other hens. They hatched total of 4 chicks together and they share in the duties which is great. Happy hatching!! :):jumpy

Today. I thought I would wait until tomorrow to see if the other hatched. I haven’t candles since the other two have hatched but one of the eggs seemed watery. So if it is that one it may not be good
You may want to try moving everyone down to the floor in a contained area. I have had chicks leap out of the nestboxes and chill or get attacked by other hens. Your hen should settle back on her chicks and egg for the night if she's truly feeling motherly.

I guess the bad experience I had with moving has me spooked.
I will give it a try when I go to put them up tonight
I get the area ready first then get the chicks over to the new area then mama might get freaked out but will go to the chicks. Once they are in the area you can gather the eggs in a container to move them. You want to mark the top so you can replace it without disturbing the chick inside, if it's near hatch you really don't want to roll them around. This will give you an opportunity to candle and take the bad eggs out, more room for chicks under mama.

EF2D7D51-F691-4FFD-9DD9-70821F81ECDD.jpeg Everything went well and she is sitting on the third egg. I candled and it looked good. I just hope that I didn’t jiggle and move too much and got it back the way it was:fl
Sorry the picture isn’t real good but i was hot:mad:
Ok it’s awful:tongue

Back
Top Bottom