I have two questions about candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantamFan4Life, Feb 3, 2013.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Q. 1: What is the earliest point that you can see growth in the embryo by candling eggs?

Q. 2: Can you candle eggs in a dark room with just a flash light?

Thanks!!!

2. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Q1: The best day to candle eggs are from day 7 to 10 That's what I heard here.

Q2: Yes you can. I do that, is better to candle at night all lights off except flashlight [​IMG]

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Some candle earlier than day 7, but I dont as its a time of tremendous growth and important growth so I dont like to mess with them. Day 7 is a very good day to see movement and veining.... your welcome to all my notes, pics and videos..... scroll to the candle section in hatching 101

Hatching Eggs 101 ~ Guide to ASSISTED Hatching ~ Mushy Chick Disease ~ Cooler Bator ~

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop

Thanks for the info!!!!

5. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    If you candle in a lit room, well, you won't see much of anything. If you candle with a dull flash light, you won't see much of anything. Providing you have a *very* dark room and a *very* good light, you should be able to see development by day four. I personally use one of those cheapo led lights that you can buy at Walmart for a couple dollars. Below are my Coturnix eggs candled on day 3. Yea, yea, I know. Not the same as chickens, but, what you see in the pictures is what I usually see in my fertile chicken eggs on day 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by