I have two questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pecking~order, Feb 13, 2008.

1. pecking~order

pecking~order Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2008
    Ohio
    The first question falls in this catagory. My mom cracked open an egg earlier this week and it was bloody in side. It's happened before with store bought ones...any ways why is it like that? Any ideas?

Also, we have red and white leghorns, well the red L. heads are raw due to our rooster. Is there anything we can put on the back of there heads??? I heard some type of tar one time but....IKD, give brand names and such if you know what to use! Thanks. Oh, why is it that only the red l. have the raw heads? the white l. look brand new to the flock, where the red l. look like there three y/o (they ALL hatched july 1st 2007). In advance, Thanks for the help!

2. tpantali

tpantali Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    We had similiar situation wiht our chickens having blood in their eggs. We were told that means they need more Vitamin A so we gave them more squash and that seemed to help.

3. pecking~order

Jan 18, 2008
    Ohio
    Anyone??? I really need some help here....

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    The only blood I have ever seen in an egg is the little blood spot from being fertilized.
    Are the white hens more dominant and not letting the rooster mount them as often?
    Just a few thoughts. You may need to separate the red hens to let their heads heal, I don't know what to put on them, maybe Neosporin? I know the other stuff you are talking about, but I don't remember what it is called.

5. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Is there anything else that causes that red dot in an egg because as far as I knew I didn't have a rooster.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I've read that if you spritz the birds w/ cider vinegar& water solution they'll quit pecking each other. BUT Only have 1 hen at the moment so only tried it for itchy bird!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is there anything else that causes that red dot in an egg because as far as I knew I didn't have a rooster

A rooster has nothing to do with blood spots in eggs whatsoever. Fertilization does not cause blood spots. They're caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during the formation of the egg, as I understand it. Sometimes they just happen, nothing to be concerned about, that I'm aware of. Like meat spots, they occur as the egg goes through the reproductive tract. Just spoon out the part if it bothers you.​

8. pecking~order

Jan 18, 2008
    Ohio
    d.k :

*I've read that if you spritz the birds w/ cider vinegar& water solution they'll quit pecking each other. BUT Only have 1 hen at the moment so only tried it for itchy bird!

Does anyone else have any more help or info? Does the above post work?​

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Or you can do as I do, chase it around with a spoon for five minutes and then just go in with a hand! [​IMG]

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Or you can do as I do, chase it around with a spoon for five minutes and then just go in with a hand! [​IMG]

You are funny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by