i have two week old chicks, one is being pecked--help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atlanta chick, Feb 15, 2013.

1. atlanta chick

atlanta chick New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    i have three chicks (delaware, barrock and a buff orpington) 2 weeks now. the delaware was quickly the boss and now the other two have been pecking at him just above his wing and neck....

i separated them and cleaned up the injured one....the injured one is very vocal and upset to be apart.... the other two are fine...
    what do i do now.... how will i know when to put them back together???

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

This was happening with a couple of my chicks last spring and I used the top (wire) part of a medium guinea pig cage to keep the victims in, within the brooder with the rest of the chicks. They had their own little bowl of food and a small waterer in there with them. Once their pecked spots started to heal and weren't so bright red, I let them out and things were okay again. You can also try Pick-No-More or Blu-Kote to make the wound look less interesting. There are threads on here about those two things. People have mixed results using them, but offer great advice about how they dealt with chicks and chickens being pecked by their cohorts.

3. atlanta chick

atlanta chick New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    he is not pecking his own feathers out..... from his neck to all around his wing...
    help!!!!

4. atlanta chick

atlanta chick New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    he is pecking his own feathers out!!!!

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    maybe you can put a wire separation between the birds, if he can watch the other birds he might be distracted from his pecking, or try a mirror.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by