I havent been around much.... heres why...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BellLisamo, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    HELLO!!!!

It all started with my animals getting picked off one by one, and then my mom had gotten me a dog that started to get out all the time, and attacked my birds. Even my pregnant guinea pig. [​IMG] I ended up with TOO MUCH STRESS, and left to my moms for a month. I had my brother pick up all my animals because I was getting sick and tired doing it all myself... I gave up all my geese, all my chickens, all my ducks, all my guineas, all my rabbits, and all my guinea pigs. There are probably more animals but who knows. I would love to start all over, lord knows. But now my husband is mad that I got rid of all the animals. He says he wants them back. Well, I doubt that will happen, as my brother did pay for them. Not the price that one would, more like 1/3 of the cost of them all. Anywho. . . I'd love to start all over, but I'm a little scared. Here's why... I have a FULL time job + some. I thank God for this job. It's the best I could have asked for. I am scared that I will come home from work, and have to take care of all the animals. I used to be the only one that would take care of them you see....

So I suppose IF ANYONE had wondered where I was. Then there is their answer. My family is still alive, well & doing great. I truly miss my animals with all my heart. Especially MJ, my muscovy duck. He loved to be pet. Siiighh...

So... TIME to START ALL OVER.....

ETA: I still have my incubator, however, it is out in the shed. I keep waiting for my brother to send eggs my way to incubate... we shall see if he ever does!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Wait, your husband wants the animals back, but YOU were the one doing all the animal care for them????

Definitely only get the number of animals that YOU want and can care for without being overstressed!!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Welcome back. You said it first, too busy. Animals need TLC, & if you don't have time right now, don't re-stock. [​IMG] Do not depend on others to care for them, so try to put off getting any until you can devote time to them.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:X2

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would wait on the animals.Even just a few can take to much time when you are already so busy. I only have a few and dh complains ALL the time that I spend more time with the animals than him.He jokingly says it,but it gets old after a while.Plus it really does get old tending to a slew of pets,but I do it for my kids. Best wishes whatever you decide to do and congrats on the job!

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I can understand your frustration. In March, I found out I was expecting #4 and knew I wouldn't have nearly the time I needed to care for the volume of animals I had, I made a plan to drastically reduce my numbers and to make some upgrades to the coop to make chores easier (like automatic waterers, roll-out nests, etc.). I'm 9 weeks from my due date and have nearly met my goals.

Maybe when you start over, start very, very small - just a few hens or something. I found my enjoyment of my animals has increased now that I only have a few and there's so much less work involved.

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:BTW, happy Belated girly!

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry you are having this dilemma. Start small, make everything predator proof, ask for help from hubby. Good luck with all.

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I knew I hadn't seen any posts from you for a long time, and wondered... I'm sorry you had to give up all your animals. I don't think I could do it. As for starting again, or incubating, I don't want to be too nosy or opinionated here, but I'm wondering why you would do it. If you found it necessary to give up ALL your animals including MJ and any other favorites because of the stress and time, how would it help to add back or start over with animals when they were at least part of the cause of the stress? If you DO decide to "start over", perhaps it would be best to think "minimalist" -- start with just a VERY few and maintain that for a while to see if you are going to be able to deal with it. Again, I'm so sorry for your situation. Welcome back. [​IMG]

10. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    i too would wait. if you think about it you cant just give away your animals and start fresh with new ones thinking the stress will be less. OR if you have to get an animal get one that requires little interaction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by