I havent fed my chickens in almost a month !!! (My $7 feeder)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tri-5-ron, May 18, 2010.

1. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Woo-Hoo !!!
    8" diameter pvc, and $7 worth of pan and hardware from Walmart.
    I filled it with about 3/4 of a 50lb bag of chick starter over 3 weeks ago.
    just topped it off, day before yesterday, and finished off the 50lb bag.

[​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Nice job!

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I love a thinker! What a great idea!!

4. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    [​IMG] lOOKS GREAT I BUILD A FEW OF THOSE

but the question is how many chickens are you feeding for them weeks .

I have about 50+ adult chickens and about 12 adult turkeys as of now plus 75 + more baby chicks and turkeys and duck in the brooder

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

alan

5. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    It is a great looking feeder but you do know that feed don't stay good and fresh for long. After about 3 weeks or so it starts to lose it's umph as my grandma would say.

I had a grand idea to stockpile feed once. I learned a very expensive lesson on that one.

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Well thanks for the project for my husband on his day off!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Seems to me a cover should take care of that. I personally can't lift the heavy bags so I recycle cat litter containers. I wash them out and the fill them with feed and that allows me to lift the feed and store it. Also allows me to stock up for the winter. Didnt have to buy feed all winter. Someitmes Country max has it buy one get one free.

8. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Quote:Right now, it's only servicing 6 hens.
    I may get 4 to 6 more later on. (This is our first adventure into keeping chickens).

Although there is a problem that this has created.... RATS !

When the chickens all go into the coop for the night to roost, and we close the pop door, it's only a very short time until the rats come to enjoy the feast.
    Last night was the worst. I went out to find at least 10 to 12 rats climbing all over the place. I'm sure that a bunch of them tok off before I noticed the remaining dozen or so.
    It reminded me of the old "Willard" sy-fy movie !

So tonight, I will be locking the large hanging feeder inside the coop with the chickens, and setting a bunch of baited snap traps in the area of the hanging feeder.
    I HATE RATS !

I know that there is just no way to completely eliminate their presence, but tonight is going to be all out war !
    I'm going to put together a closed plywood box, with a removable lid.
    then some holes large enough for rats to enter, but chickens can't get their heads in.
    Then I am going to have multiple snap traps inside to take care of business.

Hopefully after a few nights of this, we can go back to leaving the feeder hanging on the chain over night.

9. Prodigal son

Prodigal son Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    High Plains
    Quote:Right now, it's only servicing 6 hens.
    I may get 4 to 6 more later on. (This is our first adventure into keeping chickens).

Although there is a problem that this has created.... RATS !

When the chickens all go into the coop for the night to roost, and we close the pop door, it's only a very short time until the rats come to enjoy the feast.
    Last night was the worst. I went out to find at least 10 to 12 rats climbing all over the place. I'm sure that a bunch of them tok off before I noticed the remaining dozen or so.
    It reminded me of the old "Willard" sy-fy movie !

So tonight, I will be locking the large hanging feeder inside the coop with the chickens, and setting a bunch of baited snap traps in the area of the hanging feeder.
    I HATE RATS !

I know that there is just no way to completely eliminate their presence, but tonight is going to be all out war !
    I'm going to put together a closed plywood box, with a removable lid.
    then some holes large enough for rats to enter, but chickens can't get their heads in.
    Then I am going to have multiple snap traps inside to take care of business.

Hopefully after a few nights of this, we can go back to leaving the feeder hanging on the chain over night.

"Willard"! Thanks alot for reminding me of that flick. Gives me the creeps just thinking of it! Great looking feeder you built. I like the simplicity and clean look. Also looks strong as heck too. A tip of the cap to you!

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I like it for the volume. I have two similar made from recycled plastic and they screw on to 2-3 liter plastic bottles. I fill and hang them in various places in my coop and they eat for days on it. Of course that is not my chickens' only food source. They have treats and other food offerings too. I just like knowing that this is always there for them, no matter what.

[​IMG]

I got them at an Earth Day festival in Richmond, CA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by