I Haven't received a egg yet

hanakimi

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Hamilton County, IN
i'm a first time chicken owner that got a glw and a easter egger baby chicks memorial weekend and they have yet to lay a egg for me. both are healthy right now could it be that they will lay their eggs when daylight becomes longer? i wanted to ask in case i'm not aware of some other cause preventing their egg laying thank you so much for your advice
smile.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

The shorter days is quite possibly delaying their egg laying. Most hens need 14-16 hours of light per day to stay in production.

Welcome to BYC!
celebrate.gif

Do you know how old your birds are and were they laying before you brought them home? If so, they could be stressed and also the shorter days will cause many birds to go on strike. Many people put a light in the coop to extend the daylight hours to 16 hours a day. That is what most recommend to keep a bird laying. Aparently the winter daylight hours have more of an effect on some birds than others.

Hope you get eggs soon. Good luck.

i'm still feeding them grower as i have read that the extra calcium in layer feed can harm birds to eat before they start laying eggs. i got the chickens when they were babies thanks
smile.png

My Easter Egger didn't lay until she was 7 months. My OEGB pullet hatched this June and is in lay right now (at 5 months).

Hi, hanakimi, I got some Barred Rock chicks around Memorial Day, this year too. I have 3 and one of them has not started to lay yet, either. They have been getting the layer feed, since about late August (I didn't realized it could've done some harm) and put a couple wooden eggs in their nesting boxes. I also have been leaving a light on in their coop until about 8pm. Good luck!:)

I'm thinking of getting a light with a timer to go on earlier in the morning to see if that does the trick. I'll also try to take and post some pics of them both tomorrow as i don't think they have the deep red waddle and combs that signal the start of egg laying but i could be wrong/inexperience lol

Back
Top Bottom