I Haver 3 Roos And 3 Hens Have To Get Rid Of 2 Roos??????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Aug 19, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    i need some help please. i have 3 roos and 3 hens. the roos are by accident but i still love em. i have a barred rock buddy he is always chasing the girls, doesnt really like human contact doesnt seem like it anyway. i have a cuckoo maran george. he doesnt chase the girls much he gets picked on by buddy and sometimes rocky. he is sweet and lets us pet him. he is happy keeping to his self. now i have rocky. we dont know what he is but he gets after us and company. you have to keep your eye on him. he lets ME pet him and i do pick him up from time to time. he chases the girls quit a bit. i love them all 3 but i know i am going to have to get rid of 2. i have to keep the girls seperate from the boys in the coop because they will all 3 gang up on one girl. although they free range most of the time you have to watch them because they will constantly chase the girls if they can. the girls are 2 buff orpingtons and one barred rock. please can someone help me decide who to part with!!!!

2. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Everything I've read points at keeping Buddy. You don't want a rooster who won't protect his flock, and it sound like George is too submissive. And then Rocky - well, if he's already a little aggressive, that's probably only going to get worse.

So - hold on to Buddy, but don't literally hold on to him. Let him stay aloof from you, and keep him aware that he yields to you, not the other way around, and that you're the BCOC - Big Chicken on Campus. He's supposed to be aware of you as a possible predator, and he's supposed to keep his eye on you but not attack you - so don't hand feed him, don't try to cuddle him, and don't let him eat or mount your girls in front of you. He's supposed to be watching out that you don't come after him; he's not supposed to be afraid of you, but wary. So shoo him back, push him down if he comes at you and hold him there until he relaxes so he learns he's not going to get away with it.

This is mostly my condensation of the general consensus I've seen on here, because I'm new at chickens myself. Of my first thirteen chickens, I was supposed to have one rooster (on purpose, anyway, but six of them were straight run and I hoped to only get three roosters out of that portion). Turns out I got SEVEN (ack!), and I'm culling five of them tomorrow, based on both breed characteristics and quality and the above advice. I'm keeping my biggest rooster, my RIR who was originally named Lucy, because he's protective but not aggressive, and he's alert when I'm around, and he doesn't run from me but he doesn't approach me. Plus, RIRs tend to lay faster than any of my other roosters, so if I'm going to be breeding genes back into my flock, faster laying is a good thing. I'm also keeping my EE roo, Dusty, who is equally aloof but not quite so protective - but will help me keep colored egg genes in. Plus, he's pretty.

My black australorp, Frilly, is just a bully, and my four Black Copper Marans are just so far from standard that I cannot bear to bring any of their offspring into the world. So, off they go to freezer camp on Saturday!

Good luck with your decision. No matter what you decide, it'll be hard to part with the little guys, but you really don't have much choice. Three roosters is just too much for three hens, unless you want to house in three separate pens. Just keep in mind how much trouble you're saving your girls!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like Rocky has to go. You don't want an aggressive rooster. As for the other two, I guess it depends on how their personalities turn out. It also depends on if you're fussy about what breed you want to keep. But I would definitely get rid of Rocky.

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    no. i'm not fussy about the breed. they are over 20 weeks old. so they are pretty big now.

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i would choose the one that likes u the most to keep

6. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    I wouldn't keep any rooster! Much happier and friendlier flock without one. Just my opinion.
    Cheers,
    N. VA

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] To Rocky and George. Buddy is a known quantity. Rocky is aggressive and George might become so if the dominant rooster is removed.

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Happier flock WITH a rooster...sorry, I don't agree with no rooster.

I have 16 girls, and 2 roos...the roos keep peace...and warn of impending danger, call the girls to dinner...
    LOVE having the roos around. I agree with poster, laniered...you don't want a whimpy roo what's the point if he doesn't do his job
    but then is he just whimpy because of the other one being the alpha?

Its a tough call, my lesser roo has stepped up more lately, the alpha is giving him more of a roll in the yard...
    Keep the one you like the most...

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    [​IMG] THIS IS GEORGE THE CUCKOO MARAN[​IMG] . THIS IS ROCKY THE ORANGE AND BLACK O[​IMG]NE. AND THIS IS BUDDY THE BARRED ROCK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by