I haz chickenz!

Ridgeback303

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2015
Yes, I finally got some chicks from the local Atwoods. Our coop is still under construction, but the chicks are tiny, so I have time to finish it out.

I got 2 guineas(hoping for hens...), 2 black sex links, 2 production red pullets, and one mystery chick. She was in the reds and blacks tub, but isn't either of those.

I'm not sure what she is...anyone have a clue?
it's the striped chick in the middle. the left is a guinea, and on the right is a production red.

From a website I found, it looks a LOT like a Red sex link. Not sure what color the legs are though.

I'm either looking at the wrong chick (don't think so from your post) or seeing something very different via photograph than you are in person because the chick does not look like a RSL. The pattern on the chick is commonly called "chipmunk" and is seen in several breeds and crosses, which is why other characteristics need to be considered for an ID such as leg color (yellow, green, grey, white, pink - as you are not sure a photo from the side would help), presence or absence of facial feathering, etc

That's why I think right now, that it is a Red sex link. But I'm pretty clueless on baby chicks. These are the first chickens we have had.

Ask survived the night though I think they got a little chilled despite the heater and heat lamp. So I moved their enclosure closer to the heat lamp.

Added the more chicks yesterday. Got two Buff Orps, and what they said was a Gold sex link. It was in the tub with the orps and the tub said RIRs, but the old guy at Atwood's said the RIRs were all gone and it was a Gold sex link.

Added my final for chicks today. 2 RIR's and 2 Barred Rocks. Finally figured out what Oddball our mystery chick is...She has to be a Brown Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom