1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I hear a peep in the egg..Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katness, Feb 18, 2009.

1. katness

katness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    I have never hatched an egg, I have some eggs under a light and now I hear a peep from one of the eggs, I dont know anything about the humidity , will it live??

2. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    mine peeped the first go around also, means they are in the air sac which is good. good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where do you live?

What is the room humidity?

What is the humidity near the egg? Needs to be at 65 t0 70%

4. katness

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    I live in CA. it is I dont know the humidity. How do I find out?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, if you live in San Diego for example, at present your outdoor humidity is at 82%.

San Diego

Follow the above link; type in your city and it should tell you what the outside humidity is.

Since it's only 46 degrees outside in San Diego at present, folks there would most likely have a heater on.

A heater will dry the air inside your house. You could put pans of water on the stove to boil to increase the room humidity, but without a hygrometer you are only guessing and with only one hygrometer I suppose it's just an educated guess!!

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    i had one that peeped all day and one that would sing [​IMG] the singer came out first. it may not hurt to put a damp spounge in with thelm.What day of the hatch are you on im on day 23 no singing or peeping but some rolling around.[​IMG] so im still hopefull.

7. katness

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    well, im not sure, I have ten eggs that were laid at diffrent times. I have a sultan rooster and a banty hen. She laid on them for a couple of weeks but it was so cold I brought them in and put them in a cage with shavings and a light over head. I have never done this so I have no clue what to expect. I bought some staterfood if they hatch. I am praying they do. I think I will buy an incubater for the rest of the eggs, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get???[​IMG]

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe you can put a panof water near the egg. Better yet, if you have a humidifier, use it.

9. katness

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    I put four pans of water around the cage and a hot steamy spounge, I will go get a humidifier today. I hope it wont be to late.

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Why would you want to risk hatching if you know nothing about it. It is best to know what you are getting in to and what is required first. If you hatch again PLEASE do your homework first.

From what you are saying I would guess your humidity is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by