I hear a PEEP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KennyP, Jan 13, 2010.

1. KennyP

KennyP Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Joshua,Texas
    Finally! First of all, I'm as new as can be! My mother hen is sitting on about 8 eggs since Dec 20. So shes a few days late. On some anyway. Somehow another hen got some eggs in there several days in a row so the due date is kinda up in the air. Anyway, I just lifted Momma up and saw one pipping then heard it peeping! WOOHOO! So excited here! So whats next? Will there be a baby there in the morning? Will Momma take care of everything? Can I touh the egg at all? (I kinda already did) OOPS1 I hope I didn't mess anything up. I put it right back! So anyone know what I should expect now? Or what I should do? If anything......I'd appreciate any advice.......Kenny

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Leave it alone under her so it doesnt get disturbed, and make sure food and water is available for it. If you dont have chick food, it can be without for a day, and put marbles or rocks in the water so that it doesnt drown. The hen will show it how to eat and drink. she will keep it warm too. [​IMG]

Yay, peeps! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I've never had a broody hen so I really can't help, but WOOOOHHOOOOOOO!!! And congrats to you.

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Yeah!! Babies will be coming soon!

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Congratulations!
    Happy Hatching Vibes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by