I hear a slight tapping in one of my eggs ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HolyDuckBatman, Jun 16, 2019.

1. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Songster

Mar 29, 2017
    This is my first time hatching. My hen abandoned her eggs a few days back & I'm trying like crazy to save these babies ! I lost 3 of the 6 so far :( Of the 3 left, 2 look like they * may * have internally pipped, from what I've seen from pics ? Today, one is tapping inside of his egg. Is this something bad ? What should I do from here on out ? I have no incubator because I never planned on this, just one I kind of rigged up, with a heat lamp & a bowl of water. I also spritz the eggs often. Thank you so much for any advice !

2. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    Could be pipping noise from banging egg tooth against the shell? What day are the eggs at? Here’s a link to a YouTube that starts with pipping noise, then peeping...

3. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Songster

Mar 29, 2017
    It does sound like that ! Only softer, if that makes sense ? I suck at pinpointing the day, even though I candle regularly, but they have to be at the very least, about 26, maybe 27 days now. My little guy making the tapping takes up almost the entire egg now. Could he be starting to hatch ?

4. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Songster

Mar 29, 2017
    Btw, I should have clarified this, but these are ducklings

5. Mixed flock enthusiast

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    Yes, could certainly be hatching! Keep humidity up 65% or more so it doesn’t “shrink wrap”! Best of luck with your hatch! Are you on the June Hatchalong thread? Post there if you have questions. There are several people with lots of experience helping duckling hatch!

HolyDuckBatman likes this.
  6. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Songster

Mar 29, 2017
    Oh YAYYYY !!! This so exciting, thank you so much for replying ! I have a bowl of water by them & I spritz them with water frequently, is there anything else I need to do for humidity ? I'm not in the thread but I will check it out, thank you !

7. Mixed flock enthusiast

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    Are you able to measure humidity? Only spritz with warm water. Keep warm damp sponge or something that will hold water nearby. Enclose your incubation space if open so you get some air but water vapor stays in.

HolyDuckBatman likes this.
  8. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Songster

Mar 29, 2017
    Awesome, will do ! Thank you so much !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: