1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I hear cheeping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Larkin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    I checked on the two ladies today, Oprah (BO) has some cheeping under her when I lifted her up to check for extra eggs! ( I swear she laid one every day that she's been on the nest!) So I'm soooo excited!! Any time now!

2. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    How many eggs? [​IMG] Have you seen any of the chicks yet? Are they just pipping or are they hatched already? Send pics, everybody loves pics! [​IMG] There are very few things sweeter than a broody momma hen. I can't wait to see her! [​IMG]

3. Larkin

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:We have one Baby! I'll get some pictures soon. Right now I am panicing about the cold weather and how well they will stay warm in a drafty, non-insulated chicken coop!

4. Larkin

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Here's Oprah's first chick. Dad is a Buff Orpington and so is Oprah if this is her egg, otherwise it may be a mutt. We love it!
    [​IMG]
    Here's Oprah, doing her job.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  5. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Cuteeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

6. tigtoy

tigtoy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Maple Ontario
    adorable.

7. Larkin

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    I just find this one of the sweetest joys right now! Baby chick #2 hatched today, still waiting for 3 more. Oprah seems to be quite content to just sit tight for the moment.
    I find it interesting that the chicks look so much like their pappa, these were not Oprah's eggs and the eggs came from a variety of different hens that are mainly black! Go figure!
    I have another broody hatching 3 eggs due next week and interested to see what the EE egg will turn out looking like. Daddy or momma?

8. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    One of my Buff Orps (Salad Sandwich aka Sallie) went broody last summer and watching her show the chicks how to eat was the cutest thing I've ever seen. She turned up her beak at the Purina ChickStarter I got for them and insisted on finding them bugs to eat. "I'll feed my own babies, thankyouverymuch"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by