I hear chirping at day 20, can I go to sleep???

EdistoChicks

Songster
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Edisto Island, SC
Will the chicks be okay through the night? Can you tell I am new at this. They have pipped but not come out. I hear them talking back and forth. How long does it typically take them from pip to freedom?

Some are probably out by now...........but did you sleep?

Although they don't need your help, once they have pipped how many of us can rest until we see them out?

Good Luck,

Sandie

lau.gif
My first hatch lasted 2 days.. well alittle over 48 hours... .I slept for 3 hours. Had to take an extra vacation day just to rest!
caf.gif

I was up the beter part of the night. We had a rainstorm that knocked o ut power twice. I was freaking out a little bit. I still hear chirping so I am thinking that they were unharmed. I keep wanting to look inside, it is a compulsion. Three have cracked their shells. I am getting the brooder ready. How long do I leave them in the incubator before moving them to the brooder?

They can stay there for 24 to 48 hours as they do not (theoretically) need food or water for the first 48 hours.

Generally I wait until a number are nicely fluffed up and the base is covered with egg shell fragments, then do a frenzied move of the chicks into a box whilst scooping out as much of the egg shell debris as possible. (If you decide to do this, speed is of the essence as you do not want the humidity to drop too much for those who are about to hatch.)

I have always found my chicks to be ravenous when they leave the shells, so into the brooder with water and chick starter crumb,

Good Luck,

sandie

The first little one is out of the egg. It is chirping non stop. I hope it wakes up some of its sleeping buddies so they can huddle together. When it started moving around it walked into the temperature gauge and became stuck to it. I carefully removed it. Now the temp is reading low, but I think it is the ooze that is on it. I am not touching the temp now. Too scared!

Back
Top Bottom