I hear one of my eggs chirping...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by konatreehugger, Feb 5, 2012.

1. konatreehugger

konatreehugger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    I'm on day 19/20 of incubation and I am hearing only one of my eggs chirping, should I be alarmed if I don't hear the others chirp too? Is it ok that I candled it?

2. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    No, don't be alarmed that only one is chirping. You just have a "talker". It's ok that you candled it but after day 18 I would try not to open the incubator. This is when they go into lock down and you really should leave the lid closed during this time. Good luck with your hatch :)

3. konatreehugger

Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks so much for the info! I guess they are actually on day 18/19...so I will make sure not to open anymore. :)

4. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    No problem. Hope you have a great hatch :)

5. konatreehugger

Sep 30, 2011
    OMG, I noticed that the chirping egg has just pipped! and a second egg is now pipped... which has now made me horrified that I may have harmed them now...These eggs were incubated for a day or so when their mother died suddenly, so I'm now realizing that they are older than I thought! OMG. Is it possible that given my location, Hawaii, that I may not have "freeze dried" my chicks???? please help! I'm going CRAZY RIGHT NOW!

6. konatreehugger

Sep 30, 2011
    I just checked the current humidity of my town and it is 69% humidity right now... I'm hoping this will help... crossing fingers and praying...

7. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    If they are pipping, they should be doing fine. Just keep an eye on them. Make sure the humidity doesn't get too high or low.

8. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    We've actually had that happen to us before, had their mom start incubating them and didn't realize until I went to check on them and there was a little chick sitting in the slot in the turner. I know its nerve racking when they start hatching, and the hardest part is keeping the incubator closed. Just know that if you get the urge to intervene make sure you are positive they really need your help. It's easy to end up doing more harm when you think you are trying to help then just letting them make it on their own. I had to learn that the hard way.

9. konatreehugger

Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks so much for your help! I'm doing my best to stay calm...I've never been a mama before. :)

10. steelersfan43

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Trust me I completely understand! During our first hatch, I didn't want to go to bed when they started pipping. I would say I saw the egg wiggle! And my husband would think I was crazy. Just know you're doing a great job watching out for them and I'll say a little prayer for you. Keep me posted on how your hatching goes. Pretty soon they'll start zipping :) Sometimes, though they pip and it might take a little bit for them to start zipping. It's hard work for them so just try and be patient. Sometimes when they slow down, I will tap lightly on the top of the incubator. That stimulates them a little because they think they're "brothers and sisters" are hatching so it's time for them to hatch too. My husband also thought that was goofy but he's seen that work sometime too. Good luck and enjoy your babies!! Oh and post some pics :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by