I hear peeping on day 23, first eggs so excited!!!!Question???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mojomamma, May 20, 2011.

1. mojomamma

mojomamma Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Wednesday was day 21 and I just heard peeping from the chick eggs for the first time in 1 of my 3 eggs in my $20.00 chick bator. I am new here, I didn't read the reviews when I purchased this. However, I have stayed at home and monitored the eggs very closely....The temp is at 100 and my humidity is at about 62%??? The problem is, I am afraid there is no room with the 3 eggs and the humidity thermometer to hatch?

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    That is exciting! Somehow there always seems to be room enough....the chick takes about the same space as the egg did..only it can move [​IMG]

What kind of incubator is it? As long as you're keeping it closed to protect the humidity and temp from dropping, they should be fine.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Oh good luck, hope all goes well. This is also my first chicks and going into day 22 here now and got fingers crossed they all hatch, they are not in incubator though they are under my brooding hen and she has done a good job on sitting on them so sure hope it turns out worth her effort, I am so excited.

4. mojomamma

May 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Thank You, that makes me feel better!! The incubator is the $20.00 chick bator that looks like a plastic spaceship toy! I had to dip 2 cotton balls in water to get the humidity up past 50% even with the leg filled with water, is this right?

5. mojomamma

May 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Good luck to you!!! Keep me up to date on the progress. After yesterday I had kind of lost hope with even hearing peeping, there are so many bad reviews on my bator and we didn't candle any of them. It was just thrilling to know there is something alive in there!

6. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm using the exact chick bator right now. It's day 22 for my egg right now. it's not moving or peeping or anything yet, I thought it was dead, so I candled it to make sure. andddd...... it's still alive!! It's just taking it's sweet time hatching, or it's trying to torture me![​IMG]

7. mojomamma

May 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Don't worry just yet! Do you have just 1 egg in there? I have really had fluctuating temps with this bator,and the first 18 days I was having to adjust the temps every couple hours. I also calculated the date wrong, so went into lockdown a day early. I got the eggs in the afternoon on April 27th and instead of counting the next day as day 1, I counted the day they arrived and I put them in the bator. Also, I didn't get the memo about letting them sit rest before sticking them in the incubator after getting them in the mail. I just stuck them in. So...we will see what happens!

8. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:Don't worry just yet! Do you have just 1 egg in there? I have really had fluctuating temps with this bator,and the first 18 days I was having to adjust the temps every couple hours. I also calculated the date wrong, so went into lockdown a day early. I got the eggs in the afternoon on April 27th and instead of counting the next day as day 1, I counted the day they arrived and I put them in the bator. Also, I didn't get the memo about letting them sit rest before sticking them in the incubator after getting them in the mail. I just stuck them in. So...we will see what happens!

OH goodness I know what you mean about fluctuating temperatures! I had 3 in there origenally, but on day 12, I woke up to find my incubator on 110!! [​IMG] it killed the other chicks, But that one egg is a trooper and survived! it also went through a power outage! poor little guy... it definitely takes practice to keep this incubator at 100!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by