I hear PEEPS.. after upsetting first hatch and the humidity issues

shellyga

Songster
9 Years
Oct 23, 2010
Milner
Update on my chicks that hatched on the 18th and 19th.. just a few days ago.. of the 8 - 4 have died.
hit.gif
I have no clue as to why and have resigned myself that it is mother nature handling issues I know nothing about. Tempature in the brooder is good, every chick was eating and drinking - the other 4 SEEM to be thriving. I posted some "feather" pictures on the baby chick forum...

Now the other 27 (of 31 that candled nicely) are on day 21 TODAY. I have been battling the humidity the last few days and have that problem solved for now... was sitting here reading the posts and chicksitting my four survivors when what did I hear from the incubator - but several faint peeps. I rushed over to listen.. peering through the window for some direction of sound
droolin.gif
but couldn't tell. I did hear three or four DIFFERENT peeps so I am hopeful.
wee.gif

I have a road trip to pick up my Mom for Christmas tomorrow.. about a 6 hour turn around. Anyone want to bet when most of these will hatch???
barnie.gif

I appreciate this forum for the friendship, support and vast amounts of helpful information - now someone needs to block me from the auction eggs!
love.gif

Shelly

I have two that are getting close to pipping
wee.gif
.. suspicious "bumps" on a couple more.. waiting to see cracking to know for sure.

Shelly

On Blue Maran (bonus egg) has hatched..
ya.gif
greeted me as I came to check the incubator on one of my night raids
jumpy.gif
When I went to bed about 11:00, it was about 2/3 zipped. by the looks of the other eggs, this chick has been moving around..about half dry
jumpy.gif

Getting excited to see who else hatches soon. I'll get a picture soon
yippiechickie.gif

Shelly

Last edited:
Here are some pictures.. so far 6 Blue Orpingtons and 1 Blue Maran..one BO has been struggling in the egg all day and I don't it is going to make it..

but the successes are:

The Blue Maran in the incubator {don't laugh at my egg marking - the ? is because I was unsure when candled} It's name is Kringle
70350_blue_maran.jpg

The first Blue Orpington in the incubator
70350_first_blue_orpington.jpg

Group shot all fuffy and dry- with their Buff cousins looking on
70350_older_chicks_looking_on.jpg

70350_looking_around.jpg

70350_blue_orps_in_the_front_buffs_in_the_back.jpg

Read on the forum that it would be okay to mix these chicks - NOT - while they were all out together all was fairly well. I cleaned out the brooder, putting fresh shavings, more food and water.. but when we put them back in together.. not sure if it was the younger ones trying to get under the older ..but terrible ruckus
smack.gif
and lots of pained chirping..older ones doing alot of jumping and flapping.. the new ones now have their own brooder. I figure when everyone goes out to the "big house" or a bigger brooder.. will be new territory for all and much better.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom