I heard a crow... Roo looked like a lady?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saddina, May 18, 2009.

1. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    This evening I heard a crow [​IMG]. I ordered sexed pullets and about 1/2 have been roos (so it seems I was sent straight run), but since we lost one a few weeks ago, this "hen" has gotten much more "butch". Tranny chicken? Or am I just in denial? Hubby has said "well guess you'll want an incubator now?"

[​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    have you got another pic, from further back? The colour seems light for a hen...

3. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yeah I'm aware. I was hoping for a "light hen" [​IMG] I do know better, but hubby wanted me to "be sure" (I think he's fond of the roo, but not fessing up).

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Look at them nice long, pointy and shiny hackles starting to grow out on its back and neck; What a pretty roo.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yep the contrast between him and the BR girl next to him is pretty clear. Now we need to decide, get him 2 more girls or he has to go. (We're in the city, but there's 2 other roos on the block).

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep...that is definitely a cockerel.

7. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Well if it was me I would keep him. Of course I like roosters though. I don't think it would be much fun without roosters. He looks nice.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately a cockerel.

9. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    He is handsome, and a good roo, but I worry about annoying the neighbors, which is why I bought sexed chicks. He's an illegial roo, but there are 2 other crowers within 100 yards so I'm not sure if anyone cares (there's also a feed store 1/4th of a mile away, with multiple roos, so they may not be noticed). I'm leaning towards getting him 2 lady friends, and letting them do thier thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by