I heard a peep!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewToFarming, Sep 9, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have a broody silkie sitting on eggs and I hear a peep coming from one of the eggs tonight!!! [​IMG] This will be my first hatch and I am so excited to see how my little girl does! I hope all goes well and I will have to get pics when it hatches!

2. zoo2u

zoo2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Congrats, that's exciting. i love when you can hear them before they hatch out!

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    So, I checked this morning and he/she is still peeping away and starting to break through the shell. Is that what you guys call pipping??? I want to be sure I am using the correct terms! [​IMG] Too bad I had to go into work. I should have called off for my first little one to hatch! But I am hoping for a nice little surprise when I get home! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Peep - what you hear as the chick vocalizes inside (or outside) the egg.
    Tapping - The sound of the chick attempting to break out of the unbroken shell.
    Pip - the starting hole the chick breaks through the egg shell with the "egg tooth" at the end of its beak.
    Zip - the line the chick breaks through the egg shell from the pip all the way around the shell so it can pop the 'top' off to get out of the egg.

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:Great!!! Thank you! I am getting there with my chicken education! [​IMG]
    There were 2 little ones waiting for me when I got home tonight! I thought only one would come today and the other one tomorrow. I will get some pics tomorrow. I didn't want to mess with her too much tonight. But they look very healthy! she only had 2 that were ready to hatch. I thought I would leave the remaining 3 under her until she gets off the nest and then transfer them to the bator. These were laid about a week after these two.
    I did bring Mom, chicks and the remaining eggs into the house. I hope that was the right decision. I was just worried about what the rest of the flock would do with the chicks especially if she took them off of the nest & I wasn't there. Also, there are 2 stray cats that made their home in the barn. They do fine with the older chickens but I didn't trust them with the chicks either.
    Any advice when would be a good age to try to introduce the new chicks to the flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by